RECIPES

Sunday 19 January 2020

A Few Books

First up, a memory of a lovely day in January 2009 when my husband and I visited Waimarama Beach in the Hawkes Bay.  The water was a little cool for us to enjoy a swim, but that did not seem to deter quite a few other people.

The concrete blocks in the photo are part of the effort to slow down rampant erosion on this coastline.



I have read three books this last week and enjoyed each of them.

The first was The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, a facsimile of a nature diary kept by Edith Holden in 1906.  It is full of watercolours of the different plants and wild life found through the different months and seasons, accompanied by extracts of poetry and short notes on daily activities.




The second book was The Edwardian Lady compiled by Ina Taylor.  It details the story of Edith Holden (authoress of the above book) and her family, the trials they faced and the lives they lived, with details about Edith's career as an artist and book illustrator.  




This morning I finished reading a third book, The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (authoress of the Anne of Green Gables series).   This is considered one of her few adult fiction stories and tells of an Old Maid who rebels against her family-imposed life of dreariness and eventually finds true happiness with the man she loves.

The book itself was another one of my mother’s, being awarded to her as a Sunday School prize in 1940.  I have read it several times now, and especially enjoy the descriptions of Canadian scenery “up-back” in the Muskoka region of Ontario.




The weather today is fairly calm and warm.  We are meant to reach 29C later this afternoon, so finding another book to read sounds like a good idea.  I am not very good outdoors in the heat, it just drains all my energy and my fair skin burns very quickly. 

It is a much better idea to rise early in the morning, do what needs to be done, and then relax inside in a cooler spot during the heat of the day.

Margaret.


Linked to Skywatch Friday

13 comments:

  1. I have the top book and have enjoyed it many times but had not heard of the second.

    It's a small world as, just before looking at your blog I had emailed my cousin in Muskoka. I must look for the book in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady and I like to dip into it as the months go by. I will be looking for a copy of the second book. I have my doubts about finding The Blue Castle if it was around in the 40's. Maybe at a thrift store ?
    I agree about getting up and outside early on hot days and relaxing when the heat rises. The snowy view out my window makes hot days seem like a far-off dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe The Blue Castle was republished around 1990 so you may not have too much trouble finding a copy.

      Delete
    2. You're right. The library has it and I've placed a hold on it. Thanks for letting me know that it was republished.

      Delete
  3. L M was from Prince Edward Island of course. A big part of our tourism is based on aspects of her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her descriptions of the landscape - no wonder I enjoy your photos so much :)

      Delete
  4. The first book sparked lots of others using some of her drawings. I've got 4 I think - including Country Diary Christmas.
    She was so talented and died tragically much too young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very talented. Her drowning was such a tragedy, but I am glad her book survived and was finally published as it has given so many so much joy.

      Delete
  5. Probably a little bittersweet to revisit places that you shared with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I checked my library about the Edwardian Lady...did not have her notes or the book about her. I so would love to have a chance to see them/read them.

    I am slogging through Prairie Fires...about Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is good, but just hard to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing well with that slogging! I have started two different books today and decided they were both boring/hard going, so have not continued with them.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx