RECIPES

Thursday 30 January 2020

Some Flowers And A Thrush

On my visit to Hamilton Gardens the other day I photographed some of the flowers that I saw blooming there.

There were few birds in evidence (many hide at this time of year as they go through their annual moult), but there were some thrushes around.

The thrushes were quite cheeky, coming in close to me and flipping through the undergrowth in their search for food, but whenever I tried to photograph one it would hide behind a plant or else fly away.  How come they know what a camera is?

I have noticed this tendency to be shy before a camera in other animals as well, notably sheep, cows and chickens.  Sheep especially will immediately turn their back ends towards you, which does not make for an attractive photo!

Tiger Lily

A shy thrush

Hosta

Globe Artichoke

Hips of Rosa rugosa

A glorious display in the Indian Gardens

The weather today is still hot but there is a bit of breeze keeping things a little cooler, and we actually had a few spots of rain earlier (they dried virtually before they hit the ground, but it was still nice to see them).

Have a great day,
Margaret.


LINKED TO My Corner of the World

14 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Hamilton Gardens in a very long time but it's always great to see photos. Thanks so much for sharing your visit. Your photos are so colorful and it's great to see the birds.

    Thanks for making 'My Corner of the World' a success this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gardens are becoming quite a tourist attraction, and there are still more gardens being built. Well worth a visit of a couple of hours.

      Delete
  2. How lovely those flowers are; the rose hips are so big I thought at first they were cherry tomatoes!
    I love that you were able to get a picture of the shy thrush. The reddish brick wall is the perfect background too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thrush to be nice to me! Yes, the hips were huge - much bigger than what I am used to seeing.

      Delete
  3. We've only visited there once and we were at the victorian garden section, it's good that the place attracts lots of birds and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different gardens now that people get lost wandering around!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see your colourful and sunny photos as it's another grey dismal January day here in Suffolk UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many flowers have such gorgeous colours - they do cheer up a day, don't they?

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous splash of colour that last picture is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That garden is so vibrant with colour at the moment, that it is almost gaudy.

      Delete
  6. The colours are breath to my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you have some lovely flowers! I would love to have a botanical garden near here to go to. The best I can hope for is going to a greenhouse in the spring. I did not know that that is what a bloom of an artichoke looks like. It reminds me of our thistle's bloom. Love that little thrush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artichoke bloom is pretty isn't it? I also find the artichoke very similar to a thistle, but much bigger. We have a botanic garden in Auckland, about 90 minutes away so don't get to see that much. Our gardens here have concentrated on different garden styles, each "garden" being separate and distinct in its own right. Quite different to a lot of other public gardens. I feel very fortunate to be able to visit them so often.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx