RECIPES

Sunday 12 January 2020

Butterflies


Summer has arrived it seems.  The wind has gone, the clouds have gone, the sun is shining out of blue skies, we have a warm 26C, butterflies have returned to the garden, and the cicadas have begun to sing.

On a recent news item it was reported that numbers of Monarch butterflies in New Zealand are decreasing.  I was sorry to hear this as we do not have a lot of colourful butterflies.

Years ago, as a child, I can remember that every garden seemed to have swan plants growing to be hosts for the regal Monarchs.  There were always green chrysalises hanging from every surface and butterflies flitting around the garden.

One friend of my mother’s grew swan plants all down one side of her house.  Unsurprisingly, her garden was full of beautiful butterflies!


Monarch butterfly on geranium flower (2011)


The Cabbage White butterfly is widespread and prolific, but is regarded as a great pest as its caterpillars will devour any brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower etc.) in the garden.  Some farmers grow brassica crops as stock food, and driving past the field can be like driving through a wall of fluttering white with a resulting massacre showing up on the windscreen of the car.


Cabbage White butterflies mating (2013)


A little butterfly that I am rather fond of is the Common Blue.  It is sometimes seen in towns, on established lawns, but is more common out in the country.  I remember once walking through a sheltered field that was literally awash with Common Blues that floated up around my legs as I walked.

I did have a lovely photo of them, but that has disappeared along with other files on a recently corrupted hard-drive. 


Common Blues like pasture as seen here at Walton Golf Course (1997)


In the beach dunes at Papamoa (Bay of Plenty) there resided a population of Rauparaha’s Copper butterfly.  These little beauties would flit around between the sand dune scrub, seldom settling long enough to take a decent photo.  Thankfully I managed one or two amongst the many that I took.

Rauparaha's Copper in sand dunes at Papamoa (2011)

Occasionally, a garden will receive a visit from a Red Admiral or Yellow Admiral butterfly, but a few years ago I was thrilled when an Australian Painted Lady visited my flowers.

The Magpie Moth is sometimes seen as a butterfly, as it is a daytime moth.  The wings are mostly sooty black, with a few cream spots, and the body is black with several broad orange markings.  They are not as common as they used to be, possibly because one of their main hosts is ragwort which is classed as a noxious weed and seldom left to grow on farmland anymore.


Magpie Moth caterpillars (2010)


A garden full of colour and pleasant scents can only be enhanced by the sound of bird song and the fluttering of butterflies.
Margaret.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience it must have been to have those Common Blue butterflies all around you as you walked in the field. You may not have the photo any more but you'll always have the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful memory, it really was an amazing experience.

      Delete
  2. Not only a very pleasing cohort of species, but great pictures too. The damaged hard drive is the cautionary tale we have all needed at one point or another to do back ups. I back up all my pictures on two separate external hard drives, so short of the house burning down I am protected. I have always intended to give someone else one of the drives for safe keeping but have never gotten around to doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise advice David. I had the photos on a computer that corrupted a few months earlier; never thought to back-up the hard-drive I was using as a back-up. Giving a copy to someone else is a great idea.

      Delete
  3. The monarchs were disappearing here too but people have made concerted efforts to help them out and it appears to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that. They are so beautiful it would be a shame if they disappeared out of our gardens.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful colourful butterflies you have been able to see. Last summer was a good year for butterflies here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden must have looked lovely with them all. I hope the coming summer will be just as bountiful.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this as we love butterflies...and moths. Do you have the luna moth? It is the queen of moths I think....I have not seen nor heard of the magpie moth...it is a stunning one, too. Just so much beauty. Where my daughter works, they all know her and come tell her if they see something interesting on the way inside...plus she sees stuff herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have luna moths (it looks pretty). Our most majestic moth is the giant green Puriri Moth, that can have a wingspan up to 150mm (6") wide. They are sometimes called Ghost Moths. We saw several of them one year, and then not seen any since.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx