RECIPES

Wednesday 22 January 2020

Japanese Garden of Contemplation


One of the more peaceful gardens in the complex known as Hamilton Gardens, is the Japanese Garden of Contemplation.




Rather than displaying itself all it once, this garden reveals itself in stages.  
An entrance path leads into a foyer-type area that then goes on to a Pavilion.




On the left of the pavilion is a dry-landscape zen garden, depicting the movement of water through the raking of the stones.




Inside the pavilion are seats where one can sit in contemplation of the beauty of water itself.
 Sunlight reflects the water up into the eaves, perfectly captured in a poem placed in this area:

Fluid echoes dance –
Ripples of sun and water
Hold dreams in the eaves
~ Vonnie Hughs




There are turtles living in this body of water, but they seldom show themselves.  I think the reflections often found here are beautiful.




Sometimes I like to sit and sketch, and here is an ink sketch I made recently while sitting in the pavilion.




I hope you enjoyed this little wander around the garden.



Cheers,
Margaret


Linked to My Corner Of The World

24 comments:

  1. The Japanese Garden seems like such a peaceful place. Your tree sketch captures that quietness I think. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find gardens like this relaxing and peaceful, I guess that's it's purpose but I think having the clumsy gene would mean i would probably accidentally mess up the sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be fine here - you would have to negotiate railings and a hedge to reach it as it is made for looking down on.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is - except when a busload of tourists traipse through LOL

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could sit there all day, through your photos come peace and calm. Love your sketch, you are talented, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. I enjoy sketching as it is very relaxing.

      Delete
  6. I can almost feel the peaceful atmosphere! What a wonderful place to de-stress and escape from the hustle and bustle that we go through each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very secluded from the other gardens around it, and I find the still waters are very calming.

      Delete
  7. I can feel the peacefullness and tranquillity through your photos. I could just sit there looking at the reflections on that pond and wander around the garden all day. Your sketch is amazing! I can't even draw a stick man. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Jane. I am not a great artist but I do enjoy dabbling - and don't normally show anyone the results!

      Delete
  8. Is there a local community of people of Japanese descent who commissioned this garden, or did some city planner just conclude that it was a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was built to commemorate Hamilton becoming a sister city with Saitama-shi, in Honshu, Japan. As far as I am aware we do not have a large community of Japanese living here.

      Delete
  9. It is so interesting with all the different gardens. Is Hamilton Gardens close to where you live so you can go there often? Your sketch is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Marit. The Gardens are actually just across the river from us (though we cannot see them), but about 10-15 minutes drive away depending on how much traffic is around.

      Delete
  10. Your sketch is quite good, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tour, Margaret! It's been a long time since I've been to Hamilton Gardens. I love your photos and your sketch is just fantastic!

    It's delightful to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Betty, and it is my pleasure to join your lovely link.

      Delete
  12. I would love to visit this garden! It does look peaceful...and I LOVE your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Rose :)
      The garden lives up to its name I think, and I am sure you would love it.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.