RECIPES

Tuesday 7 January 2020

A Birthday In The Family

Over the back fence

We still have strong winds today and they are not exactly warm.  There is no rain forecast but we have no sunshine either, only a lot of grey clouds.

Not the best of weather for my eldest son’s 46th birthday.  It seems incredible to me that I have a son who is that old, because I don’t feel that old myself!

New garden beds

He has been busy in the garden the last few days, laying a new path and finishing off some new garden beds.  Now he is digging over ground to sow a new lawn.  He reminds me very much of his father, always with a project on the go.

Pathway in progress

We long ago gave up giving each other birthday presents, but grand-daughter and I will cook him a special dinner tonight.  Nothing spectacular, just a simple meal that we three can enjoy together.

Grand-daughter’s specialty is meatballs and rice with a sweet and sour sauce, and I have made a trifle for dessert. 

'Redwall' by Brian Jacques

I have finished another book – Redwall that was written by Brian Jacques.  It is a story about an evil cruel rat and his henchmen who try to destroy a peace-loving colony of mice.  The story was full of animals dying left right and centre, but thankfully no gory descriptions or I would not have been able to read it!  I think teenagers would appreciate the story more than I did.

And, now, time to search the bookcases and see what I want to read next.

Margaret.


Linked to Our World Tuesday


7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your eldest son! He sounds like a very energetic man. Coincidentally today ( the 6th) is also my eldest son's birthday. Today he has lived half a century. We adopted him when he was just 10 days old and he is very much the organized and efficient boss of a large construction company. His 2 younger brothers are a lot more laid back and would never want his stressful job.
    I think your birthday supper will be delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all wonder how our kids can be so old,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you son! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of starting a new garden appeals to me......in theory. In practice having wrought my present garden from bare and rugged croftland the reality of it is that I won't be doing that again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just ordered 3 more books off trade me so looking forward to those arriving, usually I enjoy reading historical stuff fiction and non fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mis-read the title...I thought it said a Birth in the family...then I realized you said BirthDAY....happy birthday to your son. Enjoy the time and meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx