RECIPES

Sunday 5 January 2020

Who Loves Fresh Cherries?


I woke in the wee hours this morning so cold that I was almost shivering.  Usually during summer only a sheet is needed for a nighttime covering, but this morning I had to rise and find a blanket to put on the bed.  I’m not sure if it was just me feeling the cold, or if the temperature had actually dropped that much.

Today’s temperatures have been warm but not hot, and the skies are mostly covered in cloud.  There is a westerly wind blustering around, but it is not nearly as strong as yesterday’s south-westerly.

With my food supply dwindling (shock, horror!!) it was time for a visit to the supermarket again.  It was so quiet, such a difference to visits during the last couple of weeks. 

I bought mostly vegetables and a little meat, as well as a large box of cherries.  I adore cherries and like to make the most of them while they are in season. 


Mayo the Rat


Eldest son’s two rats are not so keen on cherries, but they do love the stones.  They gnaw on them like treats until they can crack them open and can eat the kernel inside.  They like to gnaw on nectarine stones as well, and these treats help to keep their teeth from growing too long as well as keeping them sharp.


Pepper the Rat

Cherry husk remains


One of my aims this year is to read a few more books.  Son suggested I try reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.  I have never read this before, or seen the movie, but I do remember that it upset a lot of people and I can now see why.  It is what I would call thought-provoking.

I have enjoyed reading it even though it was a thriller.  I am a bit of a coward when it comes to “scary” stuff in books or movies, although I am slowly improving and can now sit through a Guy Movie if I’m not alone!




I hope everyone is having a great weekend,
Margaret.

12 comments:

  1. I read the book many years ago and enjoyed it. Then I saw the movie and visited a chapel in the UK that was used at the end when the big secret is revealed. So I guess I sort of did it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that book too. There are so many good thrillers out there. A whole new genre is open to you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most people are away aren't they? While it's quiet for you there it's been crowded here, people always seem to go North I guess. Have you got Orange skies there today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clouds are more a warm grey than orange but when the sun shines everything gets an orange glow to it, so I guess there is still a lot of smoke in the clouds.
      Kiwis love beach holidays don't they - you will be glad when people go back to work and school returns to normal.

      Delete
    2. Having said that, it is now an hour later and our clouds have thickened and taken on an unearthly brown-orange glow. The atmospheric light is really weird.

      Delete
  4. My GD Kate had a pet rat years ago. She wanted me to come and see it but I couldn't bring myself to do so. Rats truly give me the creeps, tame or not. We constantly battle rats here in Abbotsford. It's a real problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EDerie sky here. Love cherries as well. Buy a box every time we shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh for the rats. I presume pet rats aren't quite the same as the wild variety.
    I don't like scary stuff either but I enjoyed all of Dan Browns books and the movie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girls had rats...I don't remember where they ended up. I never did grow to like to handle them. They had had mice before, and I liked them...they were fun to watch.

    I worded at and apple orched for 19 years....we had about a dozen cherry trees...I pick cherries all day...and eat cherries all day long! I LOVE them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used toi buy fresh cherries on my way home from Napier (I lived a few kilometres out of the city) where there were various road side sellers. It was great and, as I had an open-topped car, I'm a little ashamed to say that I used to expel the stone with some force onto the road. I could easily finish the punnet before I got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at the mental picture created there - a car zooming along with pips flying out of it! :))

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx