RECIPES

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Empty Shops


Yesterday I had occasion to go into Hamilton’s CBD area, something I haven’t done for a long time. 

Twenty years ago I was a frequent visitor here, and there were always plenty of people out shopping and all types of shops available.  There are still plenty of bars and restaurants for those seeking a night life, but I was surprised at how many actual shops were standing empty and forlorn.

I mentioned this to my cousin last night and he said Tauranga City was the same.  A shopkeeper friend of his had told him it was because the buildings themselves did not meet the new stringent earthquake code specifications, meaning they were deemed a risk in the event of a major earthquake.

So the question is, do I want shops or do I want safety?  I think I will go for the safety aspect, and stick to my usual shopping malls.  They are newer buildings, presumably safer, and parking is free – I paid $8 yesterday for parking for 90 minutes.


Garden Place, the centre of Hamilton city


My visit, however, did allow me to stop and view the new wall mural that is now being painted.  When finished it is expected to be the largest mural in New Zealand, so it will be interesting to see what they paint there.


The start of a new mural


We have a lovely summer day today.  Not too hot as there is a little breeze and some clouds around.


Puffy clouds on this lovely warm day


 I enjoyed eating my lunch outside, after a morning working in the kitchen.  I am still moving things around, taking my time organizing the cupboards and sometimes moving something for a second time.  Makes me feel very domesticated!


Our new fuchsia is in bloom


Take care everyone,
Margaret.


Linking up with My Corner Of The World



6 comments:

  1. Apart from considerations or earthquakes, building codes or other such matters retail stores are closing here at a record pace due to the proclivity of people to shop on line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd choose safety over shops too.
    I don't think I've ever seen a upright fuchsia as full of blooms as yours is. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would choose safety too. Lovely photos, btw.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pace of work matches mine.

    The will be a huge mural for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure why all the shops are closing here, but closing they are. No one I know likes to buy their clothes on line...yet the major dept stores have all close except one. Well, 3 of the big ones...in Terre Haute. I tried buying some tops on line once and it was a big flop...I only did that out of desperation.

    The fuchsia is really beautiful. I have always like them but never had one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a shame that so many buildings are empty because of earthquake possibilities. It's the same here in Taranaki. There's a huge church in New Plymouth--the first one established there--that has raised millions sto earthquake-proof it so they don't have to tear it down.

    I really like the photos that you shared with us.

    I'm glad you joined us at 'My Corner of the World'!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.