RECIPES

Monday 13 January 2020

Not Much Today


This mural is painted on a public toilet block at Waipu Cove, Northland.  It commemorates the history of the area.

Linked to Monday Mural


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



One of the first authors to write naval fiction books in historical context was Captain Frederick Marryat (1792-1848), who served in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

One of his last books, published in 1847, was Children Of The New Forest which I have just finished reading.  Some of the language is a little difficult to understand, reflecting the age of the book. 

The story follows four children who must survive alone after their father, a loyal Royalist, is killed.  Their mother dies, and then their home is burned down by Cromwell’s men.  They live in Hampshire’s New Forest and have many adventures before regaining their rightful place in society.



The actual book itself was presented to my mother in 1939 as a school prize for Arithmetic, when she was eleven years old.

Several books I own are a lot older than this.  I love the feel of an ancient book, but I wonder if my children will appreciate them when I am gone.

Margaret.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A lot of work must have gone into painting it. It certainly brightened up the area.

      Delete
  2. I was not able to find the book but the library has a DVD that I've requested that has that tale and 2 others apparently. I will let you know once I've picked it up and watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it had become a movie as well. Will be interested to know what you think.

      Delete
  3. I think it's a wonderful mural. Do you know the story behind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was painted to reflect the local history of Waipu Cove. It was first settled in the mid to late 1800s.

      Delete
  4. A very beautiful, life-like mural. Reflecting local history like that is always a good idea to get people interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely mural Elizabeth, thanks for joining and participating :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old books are to be cherished and loved, especially this one which was awarded to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that mural!

    Tell your children and grandchildren about the books or better yet, write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that mural and would like to see more detailed views...

    As for old books, I have several that I wish someone else had. They are by authors not many have heard of. Neither of my girls would ever read them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've photographed that mural before, it tells of the areas Scottish history, I like it. Books....I prefer old ones in fact I've ordered and received 3 historical non fiction NZ books about our history, will start reading them today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if you had been there. I forgot that it was the Scots who settled this area.
      Enjoy your reading, some of our history is fascinating.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx