RECIPES

Monday 27 January 2020

My 100th Post!


Wow, I am really thrilled to have reached this mark.  I enjoy my blog immensely and feel I have made some wonderful blog-friends around the world.

I know a lot of (probably most!) bloggers are way past this mark, but as I only made my first blogging effort in October 2019 this is an achievement for me J


Mairangi Bay, on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour (2006)


Today is Auckland Anniversary Day, a public holiday for anyone living within the Auckland Province (almost all of the upper half of the North Island) to celebrate  … something?  I had to look it up!!

I thought the date may have referred to when Auckland City was first settled or Auckland Province was declared, but it actually commemorates the arrival of Lieutenant-Governor William Hobson in the Bay of Islands in 1840.  I guess that is sort of the start of our colonial settlement history.

Being a long weekend (today is a Monday) there are also a lot of traffic issues as people head off to the beach for a last summer break before school returns next week after the six week summer break.  

In Auckland itself, boats of all descriptions take to the water in Waitemata Harbour for the largest regatta to be held in New Zealand each year.


Swimming in the Waitemata Harbour (2006)

Son and I watched the finals of the World Rugby Sevens last night.  It was thrilling to see both the men’s and women’s New Zealand teams win this weekend, a double win in front of a home crowd.  Next weekend the teams will all be meeting up in Sydney to play.

Yesterday must have been one of our hottest days.  Although our official temperature reached 26 degrees Celsius, this is taken at the airport several kilometres away from the city itself and sitting in open country.  Readings in Hamilton City reached 32 degrees, but at one stage in the sports arena it topped 47.4 degrees.

This mural is on the Hamilton City Council's building

 We had a little cloud around this morning, but that has now all gone.  The temperature is also climbing but it doesn’t feel like it will get as hot as yesterday, thank goodness.

I have taken advantage of the summer weather and washed some blankets.  They should dry quickly but I could have chosen my day better as there is not much wind, and so I may need a good shaking session to create some fluffiness.

Enjoy your day,
Margaret.


LINKED TO Monday Mural



28 comments:

  1. That mural is very graphic indeed and I assume is influenced by Maori art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Northland Anniversary Day as well. It used to be later but ours was made into Waitangi Day and we got to join Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't mean much do they? Just another holiday.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your 100th post, you've certainly done well!
    The mural is quite interesting, seems to have some Maori influence.
    We're also having a public holiday today (Monday) here in Australia, as yesterday was Australia day.
    Also having a hot weekend, 32C yesterday and 37C today in Perth! Luckily we're off soon to a friend's house for a bbq, and they have a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hot, much too hot for my comfort! Hope you enjoyed your BBQ and a swim.

      Delete
  4. I'm in the sweltering Auckland region as well...but there is a slight breeze (6ish) if you can catch it...went out and about, so many people at the beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9pm here now, and still hot and sticky. Thankfully it has been a little cooler today but still too hot for good sleep.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Margaret - I've enjoyed your quiet and peaceful blog from the beginning. I may not have commented on each post but I've certainly read each one. Here's to another 100!
    It's pleasant here today in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. As Sami said, it's the Australia Day holiday, tennis is on in the city, 24c at the moment but some very hot days to come during the week. Wouldn't want to be a competitor (or spectator either) on any of them. Being cool in front of the tv will do me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Cathy, I am glad you have enjoyed it.
      Son has watched some of the tennis today and I've given it half an eye at times. The exciting matches all seem to be on late at night but I may stay up to watch the finals. And, yes, I too would much prefer to watch from the sofa than being outside in the heat.

      Delete
  6. Happy 100 :-)
    Oh, the ocean, beautiful and the mural is wonderful, too.
    I´d give a lot to have your temps, I´m freezing over here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice Iris if we could combine our weather together and be neither too hot nor too cold :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your 100th post, Auckland Anniversary Day, New Zealand men's and women's team winning World Rugby! I enjoy to follow your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Marit. I'm glad you enjoy it - I love writing it as well.

      Delete
  8. Blogg3is really good fun and you get to know lovely people, congratulations on your 100 post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging has really opened up my contact with the world. It would be very easy in my situation to become a bit of a hermit.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your 100th post. It took me longer than you (at least I THINK it did) for me to publish 100 posts in that length of time.

    You have a lovely blog banner and I love the mural you found, too. I had to look up Maori art and see how it is so popular in New Zealand.

    Sorry to read how hot it is where you are. I can take all kinds of cold, but heat nearly kills me. Stay safe and hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on very cold either, but find it much easier to warm up than to try and cool down.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the 100 mark. You're doing a great job. Rock on!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay cool, Margaret. Congratulations on 100 posts too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Marie. You stay snug and warm in all your snow :)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! That's dedication! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your 100th post...you have did great. Sounds like some warm weather is in your area...be careful if you have to be out in it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid going outside in the heat as much as I can. I'm the sort of person who gets sunburnt just looking at the sun!

      Delete
  14. Yes it's been beyond roasting up here, we are very very over it, the nights are hotter than the days and it's hard to sleep at night. I'm waiting for some cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nights are no fun at all. I don't like leaving windows open when I sleep because of safety issues, and even with the fan going and no bed coverings it is still hard to sleep. At least when one is cold there are always more blankets to pile on the bed!

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx