RECIPES

Saturday 11 January 2020

A Normal Day


Today, for a change, the wind has dropped and the sun is shining.  We still have a very high haze over the sky (probably from bushfire smoke) but it is giving way to the odd cloud and the temperature is definitely summer (we are expecting to reach 27 degrees Celsius later today).

When I pulled my curtains this morning the first thing I saw was Mittens sitting on a post by the compost heap, no doubt watching for some breakfast mice.  Or she may have been watching the cows in the field behind us as they have a habit of coming over to the fence to look longingly at the green grass in our lawn (the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!).


Mittens


Soon after I heard the whoosh of a hot air balloon, and the Hamilton Balloon sailed over top of us and out over the river and the other side of the city. 


Our local commercial hot air balloon


I have now finished re-organizing the pantry and feel happy with it.  Whenever I changed things around my husband always used to grizzle that he couldn’t find anything, and I guess son and grand-daughter will be the same for a couple of weeks now until they get it sorted out. 

Next week I want to start on the cupboards.  We have doubled up on some of our appliances and other bits and pieces, so it is time to get them sorted.

The best pantry I have ever had was one we built in 2006 when we redid our kitchen.  I really missed that pantry when we sold the house.

My dream pantry (2006)

I have finished reading another book.  This time it was Watership Down by Richard Adams.  I have seen the movie a few times, but this was the first time I have read the book. 

Even though it is a fictional tale, the details of how rabbits live and behave appeared well researched and added immensely to the story.  It was quite gripping in places!

'Watership Down' by Richard Adams

My son loves his books and reads widely.  He has been suggesting all sorts of genres that I might like to try, but I think I will stick to more classic stories for this year at least.  

With that in mind, I have drawn up a reading list of possible books.  Some are old favourites, some I read as a teenager, and some will be completely new to me.  There will be no Charles Dickens on my list though, as through the years I have read (or tried to read!) a lot of his books and didn’t like any of them!

Lunch is over (a cheese and salad sandwich), the dishes are done, the house is quiet, I’ve spoken to my younger son on the phone, and emailed with my daughter.  

Cheese and Salad sandwich for lunch

Now it’s time to get another glass of water and sit in my comfy armchair and start another book – Children Of The New Forest this time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Margaret.


Linked to My Corner Of The World



18 comments:

  1. Was that your actual pantry. I can't imagine having one that stayed that organised. When cooking I tend to grab this and that and it always ends up being put back in a slightly different place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Susan. I love having things organised and tidy - if I have things all over the place I only end up feeling depressed. The funny thing is, I don't mind other people having their things all over the place. I figure if it works for them, then what does it matter. Being organised is just my personal preference.

      Delete
    2. I am like that too, Margaret. Mess makes me confused, however, I am actually quite good at being messy! Nice to "meet" you, I've noticed you on Margaret Powling's blog. I'm from Auckland, and it's a beautiful day here.

      Delete
    3. Welcome Ratnamurti! I have seen your name on Margaret's blog (Devon Dreaming) as well :)

      Delete
  2. Your dream pantry looks amazing. I love how everything is neatly labeled.
    Watership Down brings to mind a picture of my DH on the lower bunk with all 3 sons listening to him read that book to them. He'd never read it before so they were all loving it.
    I looked up The Children of the New Forest and it looks like a book I'd enjoy reading. I must see if the library has it. I always like checking out books fellow bloggers are reading or recommending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labeling makes everything so much easier. I hope you find the book. I am enjoying reading it, and so far finding it has similarities to Robinson Crusoe in how they manage to survive on their own.

      Delete
  3. Cats are funny that they like sitting up high, our cat does the same on her stand. And your pantry looks so neat and tidy, puts ours to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pantry now is a bit different, but it works and that is the main thing.

      Delete
  4. I read Watership Down years ago and loved it. Also love the way NZ homes, most of them, have pantrys. Opening a door and finding a cupboard or even a room with shelves and all your kichten needs laid out in front of you is such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I remember my mother keeping all her foodstuffs in cupboards and a pantry is so much easier.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a perfect day, Margaret. A little project and a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the book has taken over, and I am hoping to finish it today.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a great day in your new place. Getting organized isn't easy but I'm sure you will manage. I can see why you miss your other pantry--I LOVE being organized in the kitchen :)

    Your post is a great addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read Watership Down but my older daughter has read it more than once...when in high school and maybe right after...

    Do you want to come and redo my kitchen....LOL I keep working on things. My kids and hubby could always find stuff...but never know where to put things up. It always amazed me that they could live here and things not change yet they would put things up in the wrong place. Probably my husband more than kids.

    Does it make your kitty happy when you go outside with it? Our two love for us to sit outside with them. Bubbie is not much of a hunter except for moles, and he will actually dig after them. Thankfully, Puss doesn't like to be outside unless we are out there for the most part because she is a little huntress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love designing things - kitchens, houses, gardens - and have done a few for myself over the years. However, my skills are not that marketable as I am way too practical and a lot of folk seem to prefer looks over practicality.
      The cats are usually outside before us, but always come running when we appear. You get welcomed and then they go off and do their own thing again (which is usually snoozing somewhere in the plants).

      Delete
  8. Oh, Mittens is a pretty/handsome cat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx