RECIPES

Wednesday 1 January 2020

The Classic Kiwi Onion Dip


Today is the first day of a new year, a new decade.

One of the classic foods used by New Zealanders to celebrate an occasion is Onion Dip.  This pre-dinner nibble has been around for decades and is still popular, along with salted nuts and healthy vegetable crudités, at casual gatherings like summer evening barbecues.
(This recipe uses branded name products, for which I have never found any suitable alternatives.  Please note that I am not promoting the use of these products, they just happen to be the ones needed to make this dip.)

THE CLASSIC KIWI ONION DIP
Into a bowl, tip a 250g can of Nestle’s Reduced Cream that has been well-shaken before opening.
Add 1 packet of Maggi Onion Soup mix and 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice.
Stir it all together until thoroughly mixed.
Refrigerate for two hours before serving (it will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for a few days).
Serve in small bowls accompanied with a bowl of potato crisps.

The crisps are dipped into the creamy mix before being popped into willing mouths.  It does not usually last very long!



I spent last night celebrating with one of my brothers and his wife, and now I am house sitting for them for a couple of days.  I am caring for Rusty the little dog, and Merlin the huge cat (Merlin is a fraction larger than Rusty!).  I have done this before, so they are both quite comfortable with me looking after them.

This is not a good photo of Merlin and Rusty as poor old Rusty looks absolutely terrified!  He wasn’t however, he was just a little startled with having his photo taken when he had been sound asleep.


I hope 2020 will be a wonderful year for you all,

Margaret.

7 comments:

  1. Love onion dip, haven't had in ages though. Anyway Happy New year

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make onion dip using greek yoghurt and a bit of mayo. Almost the same.
    Now and again someone brings us a can of reduced cream. Ahhh, what a taste

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a very happy New Year to you too, Margaret. Today is the annual get together for my wife's family and while there may not be Kiwi onion dip there will be other kinds for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cat is as big as the dog for sure.

    All the best to you for the new year and the new decade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh - I have to try onion dip :-))
    Wishing your a happy New Year.
    Best greeting Viola.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The classic Kiwi Onion dip sounds much like my old stand-by recipe which involves equal parts sour cream ( light) and Mayo
    ( also light) and an envelope of Lipton's Onion Soup. I may make that for this evening when we have company. No chips in the house but raw veggies will do just fine.

    Rusty does look terrified, doesn't he!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dip sounds good...nothing like a good onion dip and potato chips.
    And I love plain potato chips, too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx