RECIPES

Friday 24 January 2020

Dairy Cows

When I was out driving yesterday I came across this herd of dairy cows.  The Waikato (the region the city of Hamilton is situated in) is one of the main dairying areas of New Zealand.


This herd had a high percentage of Jersey cows in it (the golden brown ones) - a lot of local cows are Friesian (black and white) or Friesian Cross breeds.

As a youngster I remember my father having both breeds in his herd.  The Jersey bulls were really obstreperous and we were never allowed into the paddock with them.


A mixed herd was considered the best of both worlds at that time - Jerseys for rich milk and Friesians for quantity.  I'm not sure what the priorities of today's farmers are.

Margaret.


Linked to Skywatch Friday


10 comments:

  1. I do love a Jersey girl (cow)....I just think they are the most beautiful cows. Have those big, gorgeous eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jersey cows look so friendly with their big brown eyes. I'm surprised to learn that the bulls, at least, are not friendly. The herd my dad had were a mixed bunch but no Jersey among them. Too bad since we shipped cream in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing about cows. Reminds me of home lol. More goats around here

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was kid I used to visit my grand parents in country side at summer. There was lots of cows back then. Haven´t seen any for years now. Kinda miss the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, love the cows and the pretty countryside. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pasture land looks to go on forever. It also looks dry there. Cows are inside here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those cows are in paradise. Such beautiful countryside! Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx