RECIPES

Thursday 16 January 2020

Flowers In My Salad


For many years now I have added flowers to my salads.  I love the look they give to the dish, and I am sure they also contribute different nutritional attributes as well.

My husband would always groan when he saw flowers in the kitchen, and then laugh at me and eat my creations.  He really was a wonderful husband, but flowers are almost tasteless in a salad anyway.

A lot of folk are afraid to use flowers in food, the same way they are afraid to use wild fungi, and I think this is good.  Without knowledge of what you are using it is possible to make yourself and others ill, or worse.  Feeding someone a foxglove flower, for instance, would more than likely result in their having heart issues which could be fatal. 

There are four flowers that I use the most:  borage, calendula, heartsease pansy, and nasturtium.

Borage (Borago officinalis) is an annual herb with hairy leaves and gorgeous blue flowers (although there is also a white variety).  To use the petals – hold the flower underneath using the thumb and forefinger, then, using the other hand, grasp the stamens and gently pull the flower apart.  What is left is a blue star of petals, ready to use in a salad or as a garnish on other dishes.


Borage


Calendula (Calendula officinalis) is often called Pot Marigold and was a common culinary plant in the Middle Ages.   It is a simple flower to use as the petals need only to be plucked or snipped individually off the centre of the flower.


Calendula


Heartsease pansy (Viola spp.) has a mild sweetish flavour and look quite exotic on food.  I use the whole flower (they are only tiny), trimming the stem away but leaving a tiny amount so that the flower remains whole.


Heartsease Pansy


Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) are rather peppery in flavour.  They make a nice garnish as a whole flower, but petals can also be used shredded finely with a sharp knife.


Nasturtium


I have used other flowers and petals at other times as well, such as rose, dandelion, red clover, rosemary, and pineapple sage.  They add a bit of fun to everyday food.

Have you tried eating flowers?
Margaret

8 comments:

  1. I’ve only used nasturtiums. They are so pretty in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used borage but don't have a plant here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten salads with flowers in them. As you say they are basically tasteless but they look very attractive indeed, especially before you disturb the serving bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child I was forever picking the nasturtium flowers and eating them. I like their peppery taste.
    Years ago I made ice cubes with one perfect viola flower in each. They were so cute. Of course my sons gave me a hard time about it saying I was trying to be Martha Stewart. But it was all in fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so decorative but I don't use flowers in my salads I once had a bad reaction to some nasturtium flowers way back and have not had the courage to try any others since. I have to stay away from orange peppers too - though I can eat red ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used flowers in food...they would make it beautiful. Maybe one of these days I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used borage only for photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx