RECIPES

Thursday 23 January 2020

Cemetery Visit


No apologies for photographing a cemetery.  It is 18 months since my darling husband died and I sought solace by visiting his grave.  It takes me around an hour to get there, as the cemetery we chose is a provincial one situated in the town where we first met. 


This rather rickety-looking seat was in the older part of the cemetery


My father, mother, a brother, and a grandmother are also buried here, so husband is in good company!


A view across the cemetery


The cemetery is not large, being so much more intimate than the big city one, and has a very peaceful atmosphere with several large trees and all kinds of resident birds.  It is actually a lovely place to just sit for a while and ponder on things.


This area is reserved for Returned Servicemen


Whenever I leave a cemetery I like to follow Maori protocol and wash my hands before leaving, throwing some of the water backwards over my shoulders. 

Washing the hands this way is to clear any connection that has inadvertently been made with the spiritual world, and also leaves the departed ones in their places so they do not follow you.

Sounds superstitious I know, but the act always leaves me feeling purified somehow.  It gives me peace instead of turmoil.

I love this majestic old oak tree

Margaret.



7 comments:

  1. I like to walk in cemeteries. They are so peaceful. I'd never heard of the hand washing ritual.
    I didn't realize your husband died so recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need days like that to sooth your soul Margaret.
    According to my sisters my mother was always 'just popping up to say hello to your Dad'. Seemingly she'd rant and rave at/to him about allsorts and come home in a better frame of mind.
    And yes, that is quite a good looking Oak tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have lots of churches and graveyards in our town. I love looking at old gravestones and they are such peaceful places to visit. There are a few big cemeteries in the area, mostly for cremations nowadays. Mum died 8 years ago and Dad has her ashes and wants them to be scattered together when the day comes. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell you this. Cemeteries are favourite spots fir birders. They are quiet, often have many large trees, grassy areas, and water features. All that a bird could wish for means that a wide variety of species are often to be found there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tradition the Maori have. It would be comforting I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to apologize anyway you look at it...but I think a lot of us like to visit cemeteries. I always feel a bit sad, but also so wish I could see their life unfold...I always wonder what happened in the dash between the years. I love that tree you showed...I still have not made a final decision about where we are going to be buried...it is something we need to do...Roger will just say whatever I want. So I need to settle my mind about it and should be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we lived "up north" we were next to the Waipapakauri Cemetery and often went for a walk there. The grandchildren (quite young) always enjoyed going there. My late husband's grandparents are in the Hamilton Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx