RECIPES

Saturday 18 January 2020

Bungy Jumping


Last year I visited the birthplace of adventure tourism in New Zealand – the AJ Hackett Bungy Jump at Kawarau Bridge near Queenstown.  It was first opened at the end of 1988 and now attracts more than 500,000 people every year.

There is an excellent viewing platform where the not-so-brave (or should that read the not-so-foolish) can watch all the action take place.


The viewing platform


It takes a while to organize a person for a jump.  They have to be properly harnessed and appear to receive a pep talk along with instructions.  The time arrives to stand on the very edge of the platform and look down a long distance to the river far below.  A countdown and a gentle nudge and they are swinging through the air upside down, tied by their feet to a rope that allows them to bounce up and down upside down and sometimes dip their head into the water.


Looking down at the Kawarau River


I missed seeing the first person jump but I heard all the gasps from his bus load of friends and watched as the crew rescued him from the water.  He lay flat on his back in the boat, gazing up at his friends and waving weakly.  After being dropped off back at shore he then had to walk up the steep steps to where we all were, arriving to a great cheer from his buddies.

I was all set with my camera when the next person was ready to jump, but as he did so my heart jumped right into my mouth and I totally forgot to click the shutter!


Preparing to jump off the bridge


That was enough adventure for me.  I obviously don’t have that desire for thrills flowing through my system.  I returned to my car and continued on my drive from Queenstown to Alexandra.

Have a great day!
Margaret.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I would never want to bungee jump. WAAAYYY too scary for me.
    You must be on another road trip. I must check your last post to see if you mention that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize now that you are referring to last year. Sorry. I missed that part .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Margaret- the first thing my mother said when she heard about the bungee jump craze was.....fools and their money soon part company!
    I know it's not what she actually meant but I wonder how many wallets end up in the water??

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my wildest younger days, in the moments when I was a participant in the tomfoolery of youth, when I might have done things with a swagger to impress a girl, when false bravado was a required element in life, you still couldn't have induced to bungee jump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited that bridge in May of 1999. I didn’t do the jump either but it was fun to watch other face their fears and go for it. I missed out on the gene for thrill seeking too. Thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be nice to watch, but I would NEVER jump!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you, I just don't feel the need for that adrenaline rush, besides being scared of heights I prefer my feet on the ground with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and me, both. Not even something I would particularly want to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx