RECIPES

Friday 1 July 2022

Winter in Hamilton NZ

 

On average, July is the coldest and wettest month of the year here in Hamilton – it is our main month of winter.

New Zealand is broadly classed as having a Maritime Climate in a Temperate Zone.  The maritime part is because our long skinny country sits between the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, and we are Temperate because we are situated just below the Tropic of Capricorn.

In reality, our weather ranges from near sub-tropical in the far north to near sub-Antarctic in the far south.  It means almost anything can be grown in New Zealand.




Hamilton is an inland city, no more than an hour from the coast, and situated in a large relatively open area of country.  It generally experiences high humidity, warm summers, cool wet winters, and occasional frosts and very rare light snowfalls.

We are surrounded by peat swamps, have a lake in the middle of the city, and the Waikato River flows through our heart.  All that moisture combines together and gives us about 92 nights of thick fog each year, crowning us with the title of Foggiest City in New Zealand.  Sometimes the fog will last all day, or roll back mid-afternoon only to return again by the evening.




An average July will bring Hamilton around 120mm (about 5 inches) of rain, give us 90% humidity, a fair amount of strong wind and some heavy frosts.   Being more sheltered, we don’t receive the gales that coastal areas do – giving us another national title: City with the lowest average wind speed. 

However, the lack of gale-force winds doesn’t stop the odd tornado coming through – not as severe as other places around the world, but we do carry the dubious title of being home to the most severe tornadoes in all of Australasia (that was something I didn’t know before!).

The last time we had any appreciable amount of snow here in Hamilton (not in the mountains or further south) was in 2014.  It caused a lot of excitement and put pressure on our electricity consumption, but not much else.

Hamilton’s average high temperature in July is about 14 degrees Celsius (57 deg.F), with a low of around 4 degrees Celsius (39 deg.F).  Sunshine, which occasionally peeks through between grey dreary days, averages 4 hours a day.

Thunderstorms can occur at any time of the year, and give Hamilton yet another title: the most thundery city in New Zealand (there are other areas that experience more, this is just cities).




We don’t call our wet winter the Rainy Season as we receive rain all year round – it is just a bit more frequent and a lot colder at this time of year.

Today, the first day of July, the day dawned cloudy with a red sunrise.  Now, this afternoon, there is a stiff wind blowing, lots of clouds in the sky, and occasional bursts of sunshine.  There is a small chance of rain tonight, but tomorrow is meant to be much the same as today.

Hope your day is a good one 😊

Margaret.

 

HEADER PHOTO FOR JULY 2022

Broadgreen House is situated in Stoke, near Nelson.  It was built of cob (a mix of straw, sandy soil and small gravel) in 1855, and is now used as a museum to showcase family life in the Victorian and Edwardian eras.    The site is also home to the Samuels Rose Garden.


18 comments:

  1. Fog used to be my least favorite weather type - particularly at sea. However after 4 years in Greece I'd pay a small ransom for the feel of fog, the silence of fog, the peacefulness that is fog. Remarkably in the English Channel dense fog can come with a stiff breeze and we have sailed from Plymouth to North Foreland (on the north Kent coast) in fog the whole way. About 48 hous. It was scary. You can hear ships, you can even smell their exhaust fumes trapped in the fog, but you never see them. We have also sailed in fog so dense we couldn't see the top of the mast, and only some hours later realized the masthead was above the fog layer. Someone hoisted aloft could in fact have been in sunlight and been able to see ships and other yachts' madtheads! I was going to ask about the house...it's beautiful and i must put a visit on my 'going home' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fog like that sounds horrific. Just thinking about it frightens me.

      Delete
  2. I looked at your header and thought, you home is bigger than I thought. We are coming into our warmest months, July and August, I love the long summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these old homes but they must have been very hard to keep warm in winter. I like our little place that warms up with one fire.

      Delete
  3. That was a very interesting post. I didn't realise you got so much for and tornados and snow.
    I love the river and the lake. Still have wonderful memories of both

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a lot of weather you get. Although not sure I like the sound of that fog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful header photo Margaret - I didn't know cob houses could be so ornate.
    You certainly have some foggy days, and hold a few weather titles for one city. We get at least a flurry of snow once every 4-5 years - it must have been about 2014 when we had enough snow to sit on the ground for an hour or so.
    Our frost tally is greater than yours, and they can get down to -6oC, and can come on consecutive days for up to 10 days.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived on a farm near Tokoroa for nearly a year and I remember in winter that the ground never thawed out all winter. It was so cold!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the weather bulletin, most interesting. Your typical July day is what we have just experienced over the last few days and I’m in south-west UK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That degree of thick dense fog sounds downright unpleasant. I would seriously think of moving if I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great new pic and it sounds like you live in a wonderful climate!
    May sound odd, but I miss fog. I often stopped the car for a fog-pic on the way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe I would like your winters. Wet, cool and little snow! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your caring comment!!!!

    Gorrrrrrgeous Header!!!!

    Interesting facts about where you live!

    I'd say, the best hair to have there, is curly. And short. So no matter how much humidity, it is always HAPPY hair. -smile- So I would have a permanent, every 3 months, and revel in my short curls!

    That is me! I know, not all would agree. -smile-

    🌸🌷🌺🌹🌺🌷🌸

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for explaining about your climate. The long ,dreary ,wet winters are much like ours except we usually get a week or more of snow and frigid temps.
    That old house is beautiful. How I'd love to see the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Decades ago, I lived in The Waikato. I still long for those beautiful misty mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can deal with everything you mentioned except the humidity. Ugh! We do like snow though, that we would miss!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fascinating post, thank you so much for sharing. Temperatures are all relative aren't they like a commenter above 14 degrees C is what parts of the UK expect in July too but we are nearing the height of summer! I am not sure I could live in such a foggy place, beautiful as it can be I find it rather suffocating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So interesting to learn more about your winter. It sounds tiring with all the fog and humidity. I grew up on an island and the lighthouses by the coast had foghorns . Each light house had their special signal so the ships could know where they were. I remember I often went to sleep to the sound of foghorn when I was a child. It was an relaxing sound! The hosue in the header is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.