RECIPES

Thursday 30 June 2022

Planting Garlic

 

The Family have decided that I need a good excuse to get outdoors more often, and my choice of enticement was a garden I can handle easily with my mobility issues.

Our solution has been the purchase of several plastic 60 litre troughs that are just the right height for me to deal with.




My first planting has been one of Printanor garlic. 

Traditionally, garlic is planted here on the shortest day of the year and harvested on the longest day.  I was a few days late in planting, but hopefully that should still be alright.

I made holes that were 50mm (2 inches) deep and dropped one fat clove into each, with the pointed end upwards.  I have read that you should plant them 6 inches deep, but I think this is more for places where frost can heave the soil up and disturb the clove.

I wanted to space the plants so that air can circulate around them, so have only planted eight in the trough.  That made them about 150mm (6 inches) apart from each other.




I am feeling quite excited about my new garden, and will probably stick mostly to edibles.  There is not enough space to grow all we need, but we can enjoy what I produce on a ‘gourmet’ basis.

And the enticement to get outdoors is already working.  I have been going outside every day – talking to the garlic that has yet to grow!

I mean, gardens really only flourish when you talk to them – right?

Margaret 😊

 

18 comments:

  1. Oh I love garlic...keep us posted! Our distances apart still make me laugh...you're planting garlic in winter and I planted it in summer! And absolutely...all plants flourish with a little daily news & gossip! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is interesting to hear how we grow things differently according to our climate. My daughter in Arizona has a completely different way of gardening to what we practice.

      Delete
  2. 😊 I hope at one point they answer! I forgot what I planted and have to wait what flowers´ll
    greet me some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I hope they answer quietly - if they speak out loud to me I'll die of shock!!!

      Delete
  3. Gardening is a great way to spend time outside AND grow edibles. Your raised containers should work well. I imagine you had to buy a lot of soil to fill them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken 360 litres of organic potting mix to fill them, but I'm hoping that with care I will only need to top them up when needed and not replace the whole lot!

      Delete
  4. Well done. I hope your garden grows well. My garden is my happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope so, or I'm just a mad woman who talks to plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a wonderful way to garden - those containers look a great height, May your garlic thrive on your daily visits and chats
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am out checking mine every day, and talking to it. It’s working so far! Keep us informed on its progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those raised tubs look so handy. No painful bending. I'm sure your garlic will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great outdoor project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope you have grest success with those and everything else you plant in them. Tigger says they look nice and soft to dig in (Mittens, what do you think?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Mittens isn't getting a chance! I've already put screens over them, plus twiggy bits. Cats (and birds) are NOT welcome!!! :)

      Delete
  11. I love growing garlic, although I haven't managed to get any in the ground at the right time for a couple of years. We sow anytime between Oct and Jan depending on the variety and then harvest when the plants starts to fall over which is usually some time in July/August. Your raised beds look perfect, enjoy your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those troughs are such a great idea.

    I just can't blog right now. Roger is still not quite back to normal, though this past week has felt a lot better. I am playing with meds. I really believe that they are the root cause. One was doubled and then a short time later doubled again. (In 2005, his body was shutting down from a medicine. He was in the hospital for 5 days right before Christmas.)

    The girls had Covid, again, right after they were here when I called the ambulance. One of my daughters is still not back to normal.

    Oh, and I had to have my Bubbie Cat put to sleep during all this. I still have his sister.

    So I just have not been able to bring myself to blog.

    I am going to go through your blog now and see what I have missed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx