RECIPES

Friday 24 June 2022

June Excursion Part 3

 

This is the final part of my trip last Tuesday. 

After lunch, I crossed Port Waikato to reach the ocean side of the village – a drive of about five minutes.

Port Waikato is known as a surfing beach and I expected to see mostly beach homes, so it was a pleasant surprise to see how many appeared to be permanent dwellings. 

Some of them had very quirky mailboxes!




This is the view from the carpark at Sunset Beach.  The cliff edge is right there and it was obvious that the carpark once extended much further than it does now.




The fine black sand is unstable and large storm swells regularly eat away at the coastline, mocking the efforts of mere humans who think they can build structures to withstand the elements of nature.




The drive back home was through lonely countryside, with human habitations spaced far apart.  The road was generally narrow, gravel, and frequently pitted with deep pot-holes.




But some of the scenery was quite spectacular, with the limestone outcrops adding a different dimension to the rugged farmland.




There were a few dust (and size!) hazards on the narrow gravel road, and I was glad to be parked off the road as this truck and trailer went past.




My little car did well on the country roads, but I think it was quite happy to finish heading home on the smooth surfaces of the Waikato Expressway.




Enjoy your day 😊

Margaret.

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh! Thank you for sharing, this all looks fun and beautiful. To a nice day 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy it when you show us these out-of-the-way spots. An expressway I can see (and hear, and smell) anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The countryside is so much more peaceful. We searched for birds along the way, but the only natives we found were kingfishers, fantails and one falcon. There were a few groups of wild turkeys, and one large group of peacocks and peahens (not sure what you call a group of them!).

      Delete
  3. I so would have lived to be on this journey...especially today's part of the journey. I love gravel roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always called our back roads "interesting" - you do need to have your wits about you when driving on them but generally traffic is few and far between.

      Delete
  4. That was in the country! So beautiful! Interesting mailbox too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed your other posts, because we have been having The Week From Hell...

    Lovely trip...

    Lovely black sand...

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I for one would not feel safe parking too close to that fence at Sunset Beach. The sea seems to be eroding the sand bit by bit.
    Did you feel quite at ease driving along those lonely country roads? I'm assuming you went on this excursion by yourself. Beautiful but rugged altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in the back country and love the peace and quiet. I found, after my husband died, if I did not do things by myself then I didn't do anything, so I just do it. I try and be mindful of what is going on around me and avoid entering suspect areas (you know, the places that give you a bad feeling). However, on this trip I did have a friend with me who shared some of the driving (they don't like being mentioned) and made the trip more enjoyable.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Lovely pictures from a lovely journey!
    Love from Titti & a sunny Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I read your comment from "sunny" Sweden, I look out my window and see thick thick cold fog! Thanks for cheering me up with a thought of some sun :)

      Delete
  8. Wow what wonderful scenery, thank you for these posts about your driving trip, I have enjoyed travelling it with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx