RECIPES

Sunday 26 June 2022

Our Garden This Week

 

Winter Solstice has come and gone for another year.  Our days are now growing longer, but I know by experience that it also means the weather will deteriorate over the next couple of months.

I went for a wander around the garden and loved seeing these Sweet Williams and Violas flowering.  There are even some spring bulbs starting to shoot.




These bright red Snapdragons made a lovely splash of happiness.




The only garden work I did this week was a little bit of weeding in the vegetable patch, and pulling back some of the pea-straw mulch we had placed around the Silverbeet (Swiss Chard). 

The mulch has become very wet with all the rain we have had, and I was afraid it might rot the plants if it sat too close to them.




I was happy to find no evidence of slugs or snails, but perhaps they are being sensible and have gone into hibernation for the winter.

No caterpillars on the Broccoli either, which surprised me until I saw a tiny Silvereye darting through the plant looking for a free meal.

I’ve also seen several Sparrows this week searching under the house eaves looking for spiders and other insects.

Got to love Nature!

Margaret 😊

 

6 comments:

  1. That looks a lovely garden spot Margaret - yes, the saying I go by is "As the days get longer the cold gets stronger... " Nature certainly does keep things in balance when given a chance
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind a touch of winter here. It was thirty degrees here. Far too hot for man or beast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine having all that loveliness at our winter solstice.. everything here is starting to be very dreary here at winter solstice. I think I would like yours better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at those flowers blooming in the middle of winter. How cold does your area get? The Swiss Chard is looking great too. I think we're thankful for anything that grows in winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers! You must have mild winters to have so much blooming in your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx