RECIPES

Monday 20 June 2022

Lemon Honey

 

It must be several years since I last made some Lemon Honey.  I used to make it using our own eggs and lemons, but had to buy them this time.

What I made almost filled two 500g jars.




The recipe is quite simple and it only takes about 30 minutes to make.  However, it is more a consumable spread than a jam and needs to be kept in the fridge (not usually a problem, as it gets eaten so fast!).

Another thing to note is that, in my experience, American butter is different to our golden-yellow solid blocks that weigh in at 500g, so I am not sure how that would work.




LEMON HONEY

Prepare all the ingredients:

Wash and dry two medium lemons.  Grate off the lemon zest and set aside.  Juice the lemons to give ¼ cup lemon juice.

Measure out 300g castor sugar (I use normal white sugar and pulverize it in the blender).

Beat 5 large eggs and set aside.

Measure out 200g unsalted butter and cut into pieces into a saucepan.

Make the Lemon Honey:

Melt the butter in the saucepan over a medium heat.

Add the sugar, a third at a time, stirring each time to incorporate it.  Keep stirring until all the sugar has melted, but be careful not to let it boil.

Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. 

Add the beaten eggs, stirring constantly all the time.

Return saucepan to the heat and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken.  Once again, be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle (still tastes okay, but texture is not the best).

Remove from the heat again, and stir in the lemon zest.

Stir again a couple of times as it cools, to ensure the zest is spread throughout and also to mix in any remaining ‘egg foam.’

Pour into warm jars and refrigerate once cold (it will set further as it cools).

Enjoy as a spread on butter or toast, or spoon some over icecream as a delicious topping.




It is cool and windy today, with a weak wintry sun trying to break through the thick cloud cover.

Just as well I have sunny yellow-coloured Lemon Honey to brighten the day up!

Until next time,

Margaret 😊

 

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good spread...on some fresh bread yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother used to make loads of that - one of my favorites. Not bad on pavlova under the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this sounds very interesting! Do you think it would work with salt, or maybe basil instead of sugar? I think I will just try it! Eggs, butter and lemon as base sounds wonderfully yummy!
    And "stretching" butter these days sounds great - it has gotten so expensive!!! Summer seems to take a break here, too. Crazy weather! But: To a great new week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how that would work Iris, as it quite a sweet spread. But you might end up with something amazing, so who knows - go for it!

      Delete
  4. Oh yummy - I have not made lemon honey for years and that sounds, and looks, amazing, Margaret.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was very young this was available in shops as Lemon Spread and later it became Lemon Butter. I still love it. My mum used to make lemon tarts with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd enjoy some lemon honey, or just a lemon, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That woujd be delicious over ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good. I’ve never had it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up calling it Lemon Curd but here in Hawaii it goes by Lemon Butter and sells at stupid high prices. A variation is also made using passion fruit/lilikoi juice which is also very tasty. I try to make one batch a year with the Meyer lemons in my garden but only one batch as it is just too yummy for my good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My DIL makes lemon curd which sounds a lot like lemon honey. I'm sure it is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemon honey and I love the way kiwis call it honey and not curd. I was going to make some last week but didn't. Probably a good thing. I could easily eat half a jar just digging in with a teaspoon

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've never heard of lemon honey but we're up to try almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was searching yesterday and can't find my microwave recipe for lemon honey. So quick and easy, I'll try your recipe. My kids wouldn't eat it when I called it lemon curd but hoovered it up when I called in lemon honey. It's one of the things my son in Brasil misses about home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I haven't made any for many years - I used to buy it from parish or school Fairs, but Covid has put paid to those recently. I must make some. It'd make excellent gifts in these straightened times, wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We always have a homemade jar of this in the fridge, my daughter loves it. We call it Lemon Curd here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.