RECIPES

Wednesday 22 June 2022

June Excursion Part 1

 

This month’s trip out-of-town was a drive to Port Waikato to visit the mouth of the Waikato River, and then down the coast before returning to Hamilton.  The weather was sunny, after a frosty start, but there was a cold wind blowing most of the time.  Thank goodness for a bright red warm woolly hat to keep my ears warm!

My first stop was at Mercer, named after a British officer who died at the Battle of Rangiriri in 1863.  Until 1965, the only way across the Waikato River here was by ferry. 

This single-span concrete bridge is 150 metres (480 feet) long.




Across from my viewpoint were several buildings belonging to different rowing clubs.  The river here is considered to provide some of the best rowing water in the country.




Outside the local museum there is a war memorial.  The soldier commemorates both World Wars, and the gun turret (taken from the steamer ‘Pioneer’) commemorates the Waikato Wars between the British and local Maori.




Across the Mercer Bridge, and on with the adventure!




This is the 500th post on my blog and I feel happy that I have been able to achieve this.  I know many have made more (some, much much more!), but I am still an infant when it comes to blogging as I’ve only been doing this for just under two years.

Part 2 of this adventure tomorrow 😊

Margaret.

 

9 comments:

  1. Love your post, full of beautiful photo's of your country, sadly I don't think I will ever make a trip down your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowing sounds tranquil and delightful. Nothing is more annoying than to go for a quiet walk alongside a river only to have it disturbed by the roar or boat engines, obliterating the sounds of nature, to say nothing of the stink from the fumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations onnyourc509th post! I have sure enjoyed what you have shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 500th post!! Looks like a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so grounded and somehow familiar even though i have never been there. I spsnt the best years of my life rowing - and there weren't enough of them. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 500th post!! Your June excursion looks like fun ( even if it was rather chilly).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the 500 th post. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It always amazes me to see your winter, Margaret. It looks like summer except for the deciduous trees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 500th post. I do love these posts, I love to see where folks live and how different it is to where I live. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx