RECIPES

Thursday 23 June 2022

June Excursion Part 2

 

The next stop on Tuesday’s drive was at the Les Batkin Reserve to see the Tuakau Bridge.

This 210-metre long, six-span concrete suspension bridge was opened in 1933.  It replaced an earlier wooden bridge, built in 1902, that had been badly damaged by floods during 1929.




The Waikato River was running fairly high, not flooding but certainly not at a low level either.




Crossing the Tuakau Bridge reminded me of the nursery rhyme about Humpty Dumpty.




A quick stop at the Port Waikato Boat Ramp gave a good view of the 425km long Waikato River as it approaches its mouth and enters the Tasman Sea.




Shops are scarce in Port Waikato, but this country store supplies most basic needs.




Lunch was a picnic-in-the-car at Maraetai Bay Reserve – nothing fancy, just a sandwich and a couple of biscuits with a nice hot cup of thermos tea.




From here, it is possible to walk into the Port Waikato Sand Dunes area.  I went as far as the small stream but decided I didn’t really want to get my feet wet, and so I ventured no further.




We had another frost this morning, but it has been followed by a calm sunny day with a high of around 12 degrees Celsius.

I’ll write about the end of my excursion tomorrow.

Keep smiling 😊

Margaret.


6 comments:

  1. That is some beautiful bridge.
    Oh. I had to look up Humpty Dumpty!
    Beautiful, beautiful pic of the water. Just to dream away!
    And do I love those little shops! And the table/bank combination! It´s only "recently" this came to Germany, I kid you not. We always admired this in Australia.
    Early morno here, 14C. I´ll keep smiling, thank you! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this was a very pleasant way to spend some time, and a sandwich eaten outdoors always tastes much better, doesn't it? Whenever we go out for the day I always prepare our lunch and Miriam never fails to be delighted. I usually boil a couple of eggs to go along with our sandwich and other stuff, and that has almost become a tradition. We will be out for the day on Saturday and fresh strawberries are now available so they will be included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful little shop. Reminds me of many others. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo you took on the bridge! The bridge and the photo are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite an impressive bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful.bridge. I want to.look.at photos on computer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.