RECIPES

Tuesday 19 July 2022

Lake Karapiro

 

First, let me apologise for having been absent from Blogland for so long.  I’ve just not felt up to visiting here, or doing much else for that matter.

It was reasonably sunny a few days ago, so Younger Son popped me in the car and took me for a drive out into the countryside.

We stopped at the lookout over Lake Karapiro, formed when the Waikato River was dammed here in 1948 to build a hydro-electric power station.

Today, this Lake is famous for the rowing facilities it provides.




Because of the recent rains, dams along the Waikato River are reaching capacity and water has to be released down-river.  Karapiro only had one spillway operating when we visited, but at times lately they have been operating all four of them.

There is a road over the dam.  It is only one vehicle wide and has traffic lights to control the flow of small vehicles.  Larger vehicles are prohibited.




Along the way home we passed this lovely old church at Kaipaki.  It was built in 1871 and used originally by Methodists and Presbyterians.

In 1901 a traction engine was used to tow it to its present site, and these days it is used as an interdenominational worship centre and wedding venue.




I hope you are all keeping well, and I look forward to being able to join up here again soon.

Margaret 😊

 

16 comments:

  1. I have missed your posts Margaret - I hope you have been alright and have not be visited by Covid. What a lovely day trip you had - I love going over the dam - it is one of my childhood memories :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasant ride in the country was perhaps just the tonic you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope the day out made you feel happier and a little motivated. Mr T sends cuddles (to be administered via Mittens). Despite her years of rowing, F never made it to row on Karapiro. It looks lovely around there. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have weeks like that! Very cool little church, you have to wonder how many wedding were held in that church over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed you, Margaret. I hope you feel better soon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos from your journey Margaret - hope you are well there in Hamilton. It is freezing here- cold and rainy...I don't feel like doing much on days like these- roll on Summer. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not missing much Margaret, the internet isn't real life and it's way better to get out there in the world. Think from memory the last time I visited Karapiro was when we lived in Tauranga about 5-6 years ago, it's a pretty spot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you have been feeling poorly.... So glad son got you out for a lovely ride.

    I've not been on my blog either. Just one health issue, and broken household item, after another. Gets depressing, I'll tell ya'.... as you know.

    Courage!
    🌸💮🏵🌹

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your son got you out of the house and out for an interesting drive. I hope this means you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're better now Margaret. You explore a part of the country I know very little of, and I enjoy hitching a ride on your outings. I've had flu, and nearly a month later I still feel whacked, so do take it easy and give yourself the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty place to visit! Hope you are feeling more like yourself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you are back to your usual self again soon, Margaret. An outing like the one your lovely son took you on can make such a difference when we're feeling down, can't it?
    Love your photos of the dam and surrounding countryside. And that lovely little church!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you felt like getting out a bit, what a lovely day it must have been. Amazing to think they could tow a church, but I do remember someone towing an old brick home up a state route not far from here...hard to belive they can arrive at their new spots in one piece! Put your feet up and enjoy a little TLC! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope getting out for a drive helped you feel better. I seldom get to go for a drive...roger does not enjoy them now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I especially love that you have a sweet son that loves his Mom. How wonderful that he pops in to spend such a delightful drive with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like a very nice day out! I hope it gave you some good impressions. Best wishes for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx