RECIPES

Tuesday 13 September 2022

A Dawn Chorus

 

I woke early this morning, around 5.50am, to the sound of a blackbird outside my window.  It was singing its little heart out, contributing to the Dawn Chorus as the world awoke to a new day.

What a wonderful way to wake up!

Years ago, living in the country, I used to be up and dressed by the time the sun rose – simply so I could sit outside in the garden and drink in the sound of all the birds singing.

The Dawn Chorus is one of the most beautiful sounds of nature, and I always find it a shame it doesn’t occur all year round – although, having said that, I probably appreciate it more because it is so seasonal.


This is me in 1997, watching for wild life at the beach


When out camping, it was interesting to hear the native birds singing along with the introduced ones.  The Chorus always began with the Bellbird, who would sing for some few minutes by itself before being slowly joined by other choristers. 

One of my enduring memories is hearing a Bellbird calling across an estuary at Abel Tasman National Park.  The sound seemed to reverberate around the small tree-lined bay, bouncing back and forth across the water like an echo.

Perhaps the Bellbird is a bird who likes to hear itself though, as once the music really gets underway it stops calling and sets off to look for some breakfast.

Have a happy day everyone 😊

Margaret.

 

13 comments:

  1. I just had to go look up the song of the Bellbird. What an interesting song it has. We've had so few birds these past years. Makes me wonder why? They come to the feeders and birdbath but they don't stick around to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no longer have the song sparrow outside the window every morning. It is a long wait until spring when it returns. Enjoy your spring birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dawn chorus is one of the finest events in all he natural world. I feel really sorry for city dwellers who awake to squealing brakes and ambulance sirens. They will never know one of life's greatest pleasures - and it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a bellbird...got to look that one up. What we learn from blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the Bellbird, had to look it up. I wonder what other birds you have down there that we have not seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my, I looked up that Bellbird...what a sound it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love sitting outside listening to the birds also, especially in the Spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite 'you are HOME' sound - bellbird. They called in Dunedin, but that is a small grren city on hills with lots of unbuilt gullies and places that have retianed pockets of bush - and the 'green belt' that makes a huge difference to the amount of birdlife we heard in town. Tuis too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We hear the birds morning and evening, we have next door a very overgrown garden, the tall shrubs are full of birds, who visit our feeders every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Dawn Chorus is really something. I love to wake up to it. I have never heard of a Bellbird before. Going to look it up right now. Always fun to learn something new. Thanks Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post...memories of hearing Bellbirds in Australia years ago. Our morning chorus diminishes mid-July, up here in the north, but yes, one of my favourite times of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for that nz dawn chorus and that wonderful bird song. The bellbirds song, and the tui, is delightful, from what I remember.
    I love that early bird song but it's not quite the same here

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx