RECIPES

Friday 6 September 2024

Making Lemon Honey

 

It is many years since I last made a batch of Lemon Honey, but we have so many lemons on our tree that I thought I would give it a go again.  It took me about 45 minutes from start to finish.




It is a fairly straight-forward recipe, although care has to be taken that the mixture is never allowed to boil.

Beat up five eggs and set them aside.

Take two clean lemons and grate the rind/zest off them.  Set aside.




Juice 1-2 lemons, enough to give ¼ cup juice, and set aside.

Cut 200g unsalted butter into pieces and melt in a saucepan over a low to medium heat.




Add 300g castor sugar (I blend normal white sugar to make this), one third at a time, stirring each time to incorporate it.

Then stir reasonably vigorously, and most of the butter will mix into the sugar.  Remember to not let the mixture boil at all.

Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.

Add the beaten eggs, stirring continuously while doing so.  There will likely be a lot of froth on top of the mixture.




Return the saucepan to the heat and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken.

Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest.

Keep stirring as the mixture cools and the last of the egg froth will blend in.




Pour the Lemon Honey into clean warm jars.  It will thicken a little more as it cools.  Seal the jars when cold and keep stored in the fridge.

My recipe made 2½ 300g jars.



Use spread on bread, scones etc., or poured over icecream or into tart cases.  It is quite sweet and rather more-ish (if you like lemon, which I do).

It never lasts very long with me around!

Margaret xx



21 comments:

  1. Yum! I haven't made it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd not heard of Lemon Honey but maybe it's what we call Lemon Curd here - something I've tried and failed with a couple of times. Yours sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they are the same. Possibly also called Lemon Cheese. Whatever it is called, it is rather yummy LOL

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious. The last time I made this I was in primary school - and I'm not saying how long ago that was :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so refreshing and wonderful to taste

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughters and I would use it up quickly as we all like li emon flavored things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing the recipe. I loved the clouds from yesterday’s post, looks like a very pretty spring to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you use to take photos? They are always so clear and colourful!
    I have made lemon curd for a cake filling, but with honey, not sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera gave up the ghost about three years ago, so since then I've just used my Samsung phone (which is getting a bit ancient now!). I'm lucky it takes such good photos :)

      Delete
  8. Looks so good. And lemons ripe in the spring! It amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Nana regularly made lemon honey - great stuff but a heck of a lot of sugar. Good on pavlova (under the cream). Have you ever tried making it over boiling water. That works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think using a double boiler is the "correct" way of making it, so it doesn't boil. I've always made mine this way as it is how my mother did it :)

      Delete
  10. We call it lemon butter. It’s very yummy and it didn’t last long. It actually took longer to make than it did to empty the jar! Hubby loved it on his toast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost gone here now LOL. I may have to make some more :)

      Delete
  11. Yum! Thank you for the very clear recipe. I've never made Lemon Honey, but is it such a useful thing to have in the store cupboard/fridge. I always buy it from school fairs - now I'll have a go myself. I must remember to label the jars "Contains eggs" as I have a friend with an egg allergy. I had no idea it had eggs in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good!! My DIL makes lemon curd but I just buy the Bonne Maman brand ( too lazy, I'm afraid).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely looking brew of lemon honey. I have not made it for years, but when I did, I used my mother's recipe, and made it in a double boiler to prevent it boiling. I am dreaming of it now....
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love lemon honey too. It's so easy to make. I give the jars away and just lick the spoon myself.....and scrape out the saucepan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx