RECIPES

Saturday 14 September 2024

Corn Chowder

Corn Chowder is a thick hearty soup that is perfect for supper on a chilly night.
This is the recipe I use, originally found in Alison Holst's 'Dollars and Sense Cookbook,' which states it will make four servings. 


Dice an onion and saute in 2 Tbsp melted butter for 2-3 minutes. 

Add 1 grated medium carrot, 2 diced stalks of celery and 1 cup of chicken stock (or water).  Bring to the boil then simmer until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. 

Add a 410g can of creamed corn, 1 cup milk, and 2-3 Tbsp chopped parsley. 


When soup is hot (but do not let it boil), thicken as desired with some cornflour (corn starch) mixed with a little cold water. 
Season to taste with salt and pepper and a generous pinch of white sugar (the sugar intensifies the corn flavour, but its use is optional).
Serve hot.

Enjoy!
Margaret xx 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I have a kumara acorn chowder recipe where the kumara provides the thickening (and a bit more sweetness - as if the corn wasn't enough.) Creamed corn, btw, seems to be a uniquely kiwi thing. I can't get it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange you cannot get canned creamed corn - I never considered other places wouldn't have something we consider so common. I believe Australia has it, if my memory serves me right.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting, and very different from our soups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and delicious! Thank you for sharing, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No creamed corn here either and blitzing corn kernels does not make them creamy. Alas. Love the stuff. That soup looks delicious. Too hot for soups yet in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. One of my favorite soups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make many kinds of soup but I haven't tried a Chowder. I know creamed corn used to be available here but I haven't looked for it in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don’t think I’ve ever seen creamed corn in the UK but found a recipe for making it so will try the soup as it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx