RECIPES

Monday 5 August 2024

The Promise Of Spring

All around us are signs that winter is nearing an end and spring is on its way.
The days grow longer and the birds are becoming more active. 
The white Erlicheer narcissus bulbs are about to open and spread their heavenly perfume around the garden.

The solitary wallflower is also scented, but we'll have to wait for more to open to really appreciate that.

It is a bit of a hit and miss with stock as to whether you get double or single flowers.  These ones are single (so far - I keep hoping for a double), but still emit a faint scent. 

As well as these early signs of spring, there are also a few winter survivors in the garden.
This solitary nasturtium receives warmth from the house and has managed so far to hang on in spite of frosty mornings.

It really is amazing to watch Nature in action, even if it is only through garden flowers.
Margaret xx 



12 comments:

  1. Lovely colours in your garden.
    But I hope Autumn is still a way off here as Summer was so late arriving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks wonderful with the pop's of early colour Margaret - and scent. i have my first daffodil fully open today... such a bright spot of colour :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to look up and see some things about your weather...your winters dont seem to get as cold as here for one thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mild winters are a bonus of living in a temperate coastal climate (further south than us does get a lot colder).

      Delete
  4. Lovely spring colours. The nasturtium is vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the promise of spring, we have the promise of autumn. I think we are both looking forward to both. Fall is definitely my favorite season of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing that frost doesn’t take out those plants. Such a pretty sight in late winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have managed to survive as they are fairly sheltered, raised up off the ground, and benefit from the warmth of the house. We have had frosts strong enough to kill them off, but a few of them have hung on :)

      Delete
  7. I've not heard of that kind of narcissus but I can imagine how pretty it will look once it is fully open. How nice that your area is so mild that some flowers bloom right through winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your narcissus is at the same stage as mine, although one of mine has opened and has a beautiful perfume but quite strong when I picked it and put in a vase inside. This is the first time mine flowered since we moved here 2 years ago. Your garden is lovely, thanks for the photos as we know Spring is coming (and I am happy about that as I am not a winter person).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The header photo is so pretty - it looks like such a lovely place to just sit and relax. And I'm always excited to see flowers in winter...so different from here! I don't want to wish time away, but oh the heat and humidity now is too much for me...I hope I get snowed in from November to March!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is on its way for you!! Fall is in the air here some nights are very cool, and a few leaves are turning yellow.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx