RECIPES

Wednesday 10 July 2024

Blooming In July

We are very blessed that we live in a temperate climate, as it means we can have flowers blooming through winter. 
Snapdragons remind me of my childhood and the fun we had squeezing open their 'mouths.'

My potted Daphne is flowering, for the first time (2 years old, but no flowers last year).

The Sweet Alyssum has been scenting the air around it for months on end now.

And the Calendula is still putting on a show, though she is starting to look a little straggly round the edges. 

Scrambling Fumitory is a weed, but I think it is a pretty weed and quite charming when it is left to grow wild.

I see this Jonquil every time I step out the back door, and its cheerful yellow always makes me smile.

The Dianthus also makes me happy, with its cheerful colour.

Our garden is not overflowing with flowers like a summer garden - these are just the odd one or two plants, but their presence makes sunny days sunnier and cold days more bearable.
Margaret xx



12 comments:

  1. Other than your spring bulbs, we have the same flowers here in our summer in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret, your Winter flowers look so bright and cheerful. Your garden is lovely :o). I also have some snapdragons flowering and still can't resist making their "mouths" open lol. I have found that I can grow snapdragons as perennials, in my garden in Auckland, just by deadheading them as soon as the flowers fade. I hope we continue to have good weather. We have experienced 2 frosts so far this Winter and expect another one tomorrow morning as it was 18 C here today with clear skies. Have an enjoyable week, hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to do that with her snapdragons, so perhaps I should give it a try too.
      Yes, expecting another frost here as well. It was sunny today but not as warm as you. Mxx

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have all that colour through your winter. We used to call snapdragons 'nip noses' when I was little!

    Alyssum is something that my first father-in-law used to use for bedding plants every summer - planting it in patterns with blue lobelia and a red plant I've forgotten (salvia?). I've not seen it for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nip noses? That made me smile :)
      I love the white alyssum as it has more scent than other colours and try to always have it in my garden.

      Delete
  4. So good that you know the names of all these little flowers that I do not know of

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want your winter, Margaret. So colourful compared to ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find your winter to be amazing, especially frozen oceans. Nothing like that here :)

      Delete
  6. Your garden has so much colour. My calendula is not doing so well in the heat. I hope it starts flowering like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be great to have flowers in the garden in winter! In Norway the snapdragons are called "Løvemunn" which means Lion mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fortunate you are to live where flowers bloom in winter! Scrambling fumitory is an awful name for such a pretty weed. My white Allysum self seeds merrily all over the garden and I let it go. I found a Carnation completely covered with Allysum this morning so I had to pull some out. Your calendula looks good. That's another self seeder here. Always nice to get the "free" flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssum I've grown previously has also self-seeded. I'm not sure what it is with this one, but the scent is really strong and it doesn't seem to want to seed itself - however, it is much longer lived (will be interesting to see just how long it does go for), so I'm not complaining :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx