RECIPES

Thursday 31 October 2019

Halloween And Blogging Joys


Of course, it is Halloween celebrations tonight.  Not that I have anything to do with them.  In fact, until I grew up I had never heard of Halloween, but now the shops are jumping in on it and it is fast becoming a very commercial event here in New Zealand.




Most people I know still don’t observe it, and the ones who do seem limited mostly to their children wandering around houses knocking on doors.  I’m not sure I agree with this – we spend ages telling our children not to speak to strangers or accept sweets from them, and then encourage them to go out and do just that.  It doesn’t seem right to me somehow.

When I was in town this morning I noticed several shops have Halloween decorations up, but these are still not common in the home.  The children do love to dress up though, but not all parents are into the witches, demons and skeletons thing.  One little girl I heard of this morning dressed as a fairy so she could participate in the after-school function the school is putting on so that the children do not need to go around houses.

One Christian family that I know organises a special event for the children of their church on this night, pointing out the “dark side” of Halloween and providing an exciting alternative so that the child does not feel left out when their friends go “trick and treating”.

This morning was bright and sunny with lots of blue sky, but this afternoon the cloud has built up and there is a breeze blowing.  The days are growing warmer and we have 20 degrees Celsius here today.
One of the household cats has claimed my bed as her new daytime-snooze place – I think she likes the sunshine coming in the window or maybe it is the soft blanket.   I don’t have the heart to kick her off the bed – at the moment she is losing her winter coat so leaves little patches of black fur behind whenever she settles anywhere, but who can resist a cat who purrs every time she sees you?


Mittens asleep on the end of my bed


Today marks the end of my first month of blogging.  Without my darling husband (we were married just short of 45 years), I think it would be very easy to settle down into a quiet little rut and ignore the rest of the world.  I am finding blogging is helping me to reach out and make contact with other like-minded people from all different places around the world.  It is exciting, and I am beginning to understand what people mean when they mention their Blogland Friends.  I am glad I am now able to join in and be a part of that wonderful community.

Thank-you for reading my blog J
Margaret

11 comments:

  1. Happy first month anniversary of blogging!! Like you I find blogging helps me reach out, something I find more difficult in the "real world".
    When our children were young we attended Harvest parties at church on Halloween as an alternative to trick or treating and costumes etc.. They always had a great time and didn't feel left out.
    Your kitty sure looks comfortable there on the soft blue blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is fun isn't it. I've "met" a lot of people through my blog and learned lots about life in other parts of the world. Love the kitty:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that you've enjoyed your first month of blogging. It's 6 years for me but has become even more important now I'm on my own, so interesting to "talk" to people all around the world.

    Back in the 70's Halloween wasn't a celebrated day here in the UK. Then as we went through the 90's it gradually crept over from the States and now everywhere is full of Halloween stuff. Luckily I've never lived anywhere where children have trick or treated so in my house it's limited to the mantle shelf for just a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great big thank-you to you Sue for putting my blog on your side bar when I first started. It helped give my blog such a boost and I really appreciate you doing that. :) Mxx

      Delete
  4. My goodness that month went by quickly! Time certainly flies by when you're having fun :)
    It's quite a few years since I began blogging - sometimes I think I'll give it up - and then after a break come back with renewed energy. It sort of gets to you, reading about others lives is good for my curiosity, getting to know other bloggers is an added benefit.
    It won't be long until you pass your three month anniversary- then it'll be on to one year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging is good fun, and you meet so many people. I love linking up with bloggers in different countrys, you talking about warm day and spring as we are going into winter, plus your different traditions.
    I have a few halloween items in the house, we have young grandchildren, so it's fun for them, but they do not go our trick and treating.
    Here the children are told only knock on the decorated houses, where we live there are loads of older people, who will not open the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have come to think of fellow bloggers as friends. Blogging has opened another world for me now that I don’t like to travel any more.

    It is only 10 C here this morning and raining. Miserable Hallowe’en weather for the kids here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy one month blogging anniversary. I enjoy reading your blog. I started to blog in 2008, so it is 11 years! Many of my blog friends from the early years have moved over to Facebook, or Instagram. So I have been looking around to find some new blog friends that are activ, and then I found you. I don't blog each day, but try to once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleven years is a long time Marit! I am glad you enjoy my blog :)

      Delete
  8. I hadn't realised yours was a new blog. I started blogging when I was coping with looking after my husband with dementia and, as you say, it was great meeting on-line friends. Here in the north we have strong cold winds, not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came home on the Waikato Expressway this afternoon and the strong winds made it quite difficult to drive. Happy to be home safe and sound.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx