RECIPES

Friday 25 October 2019

Out Shopping


I had an appointment at the hospital at 8.45am this morning, so it was an earlier start to the day than what I am used to now.  Nothing major, just a routine x-ray, and I was back out again at 9am.
Rather than heading home I headed for the shops.


A sunny spot on the terrace (2006)


Every now and then I like to call into a thrift shop and wander around to see if there are any little treasures I might like to buy.  Apart from excellent Retail Therapy (it is generally a reasonably cheap pursuit), I sometimes find an item I genuinely fall in love with.

Such was the case with this little cushion.  It just called out to me to love it, and for $1 it has come home with me and found a new residence on my bedroom chair.  It just seems to “fit” like it was made for the chair. 

My new cushion

 The rug on the chair was woven by one of my sisters-in-law on her loom.  She has had an almost life-long interest in wool, dying, spinning, knitting and weaving.  She has made some incredible things and I felt very privileged to be given this throw rug a few years ago.


On to the hardware store, and I was happy to find a desk fan for my room.  The sun pours into my bedroom and I can see it becoming rather hot during the summer.  I know from past experience it pays to buy fans when they appear in the shops, as waiting for hot weather to arrive means most fans are already sold, and there is certainly not the selection available.

I could have bought a cheaper fan than this one but I was swayed by the timer function, meaning it will turn off after a certain period (so I can go to sleep with it on), and it is also nicely compact so will be much easier for me to store during winter.


My Dimplex "air circulator with electronic controls"


Next stop was a visit to a sister-in-law to give her a cute little giraffe I picked up recently, as she loves giraffes and has several dotted around the house (unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it). 

A visit to the cinema means I now have two tickets (for myself and grand-daughter) to go and see the Disney movie Maleficient the Magnificent tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.

A bit more shopping, fill the car with petrol, call at the supermarket, and finally I am home again.  To be honest, I was glad to arrive home as I was starting to feel like I had had enough.  It was put the kettle on and make a cup of tea, then a sit-down to munch on seaweed-rice crackers with cream cheese and salmon pate.  Made me feel much better!


Tea and Crackers


This weekend is a holiday one (Labour Day on Monday) so town was busy with traffic.  Labour Day traditionally signals the start of summer, and many people head off to the beach this weekend.

Stay safe,
Margaret

Hi Again!
Well, we enjoyed the movie tonight - but I got the name wrong when I wrote it above.  We went and saw Maleficient the Mistress of Evil.  Not a movie for young children, but certainly great for teenagers. 


10 comments:

  1. When we get our spring public holidays (here called bank holidays), we never plan to go out as the roads and local towns are always full. Enjoy the extra day with you son and grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I hate being out on the roads during public holidays. Much more peaceful to stay home :)

      Delete
  2. Love this glimpse of your life. Much the same as here but we’re headed into late fall when we’re expecting our first snow. Ugh. I’d rather have your weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In six months time I think it will be me saying "I'd rather have your weather"!!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet little cushion! It looks just right on your chair.
    Browsing in a thrift store is such fun. The prices are so reasonable and you just never know what you'll find. For me it also gets me out of the house.
    How wise to buy your fan now and not wait until the choices are less. Being compact will be extra good seeing as your storage space is limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the little information booklet this morning and the fan actually does a lot of different things, like imitating the wind with alternating speeds, being able to set a time for it to turn off, having a quiet "sleep" mode, and oscillating 380 degrees by the base turning around. It looks like it might turn out to be a good investment!

      Delete
  4. Nice find, I'm a huge fan of op shops, it's amazing what you find that people throw out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that people throw things away! I often think that what I donate may become a treasure to someone else.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful rug that your sister-in-law made for you, the cushion also goes well with the chair. The fan sounds like a good buy - I must look it up as it could be useful as I think we are in for a very hot summer. Did you make the cream cheese and salmon pate - it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. No, I didn't make the pate - it may have tasted better if I had. It was one I bought at the supermarket and was not nearly as nice as I had expected. It was all good looks!

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx