RECIPES

Friday 4 October 2019

A Few Big Things


The following photos are a selection of some of the Big Things that I saw on a recent road trip down to the South Island.   A lot of towns now seem to be creating these as an emblem for their district, and it makes an interesting and fun side-hobby to search them out and photograph them - although I must confess I first got the idea of making a photo-collection of them from my sister-in-law!

Bulls, Rangitikei - Big Bull, to reflect the name of the town

Cromwell, Otago - Big Fruit, showing the importance of fruit growing in this region

Gore, Southland - Big Brown Trout, found in abundance in rivers around here

Oamaru, Otago - Big Penguin, made out of local Oamaru stone and marking a spot where penguins come ashore in the evenings to spend the night in their burrows

Ohakune, Tongariro National Park - Big Carrot, as the best carrots in New Zealand are grown here

Omarama, Canterbury - Big Merino Sheep, celebrating the importance of this breed of sheep to the economy of this rural district

Springfield, Canterbury - Big Donut, reflecting the town's connection with its namesake on the TV show "The Simpsons"  (and, yes, that is me peeping through the donut hole!)

Te Kuiti, King Country - Big Cave Weta, a large native insect found living in many of the rocky limestone caves that are found in this vicinity  

I hope you enjoyed looking at these.  They are not always easy to find unless one is looking for them, and then they seem to be found all over the place!  The biggest trick to this hobby is being able to find a car park so one can stop driving and take their photograph.  Good fun :)
Cheers,
Margaret

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking brilliant, but then came a huge carrot and a doughnut, but I loved the others, can't wait to see where else you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister-in-law seeks out these Big Things wherever she goes. So much more fun than buying a teaspoon or a fridge magnet!

      Delete
  2. Such a variety from the donut to the insect. Imagine an insect that size in reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, an insect that size would be an absolute nightmare!

      Delete
  3. I did enjoy looking at these...think it is a cool idea for places to do this. My favorite is all of them...LOL I am drawn to the fruit since I worked at a small local apple orchard for 19 years. But I really do like them all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx