RECIPES

Monday 14 October 2019

Mt White Turnoff, Southern Alps


State Highway 73 is one of the few roads that traverse the South Island from east to west, cutting through the Southern Alps from Christchurch to Kumara Junction on the West Coast.  The whole route is stunningly scenic and travels over two passes – Porters Pass (939 metres) and Arthurs Pass (920 metres).   I last traveled this highway in May of this year.
About 30 minutes east of Arthurs Pass Village there is a small road that turns off the main highway.  This is the start of Mt White Road (also known as Riversdale Road, named after the river flats here), a 28km length of gravel (unsealed) road often used for mountain biking, and that eventually leads to the privately operated high-country farm of Mount White Station.  I have never been along the full length of this road but love driving the short distance down to the Waimakariri River and crossing to the other side.


The descent down to Mt White Bridge

I first visited here in 1995 with my husband and children, when we crossed the bridge and had a pleasant morning tea break sitting among the tussock on the river flats.

Mt White Bridge in 1995

Hubby and Self enjoying a cuppa in 1995

The narrow road almost immediately makes a steep descent down to the Waimakariri River (say why-mack-ar-ree-ree), before making a sharp turn, negotiating some huge pot-holes in the road, then crossing the Trans-Alpine railway track and immediately driving out onto the one-lane wooden Mt White Bridge.

Mt White Bridge in 2019

The last few years have seen several major floods go through this area and I felt it was not nearly as picturesque as it used to be, but its rugged beauty still impressed me. 

The icy cold Waimakariri River

The Upper Waimakariri River basin

The isolation I felt was intense.  There was only me there, all alone with a wide braided river, surrounding mountains, and the river flats strewn with boulders and tree roots.  The silence was broken only by the wind and I saw no sign of life anywhere, human or animal.  Not even a bird.

All alone

After a short wander around I drove back over the bridge and returned to the State Highway before continuing on my journey.

Time to leave

I hope you enjoyed this short visit to a little-known spot of New Zealand.
Margaret



5 comments:

  1. It's a long time since I was that far south in South Island. It was lovely to be reminded of the area though. And, yes, I remember that bridge and the Waimakariri River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Graham that you remember that bridge! So many people drive past and never know it is there.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I love to "travel" with blog friends. It brings me to places I will never be able to go. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful area. You were brave to venture there on your own!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.