RECIPES

Sunday 20 October 2019

Grass For The Garden

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the first two games of the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals last night, but never got to bed until the wee hours.  I thought I might have slept in, but the good old body-clock decided to still wake up at its usual time.  Oh well, maybe tomorrow I can sleep in.

After dropping grand-daughter off at her friend’s place this morning, I visited one of our local garden centres to look at grasses.  One corner of our garden has volcanic rocks in it, and son thought it might be nice to plant some native grasses here.

Grasses for the Garden

Just about any perennial plant seems to sell at between $15 and $20, so I was not surprised at the price of the grasses.  However, the smaller plants were cheaper and I know from experience that these grasses soon grow and in a matter of months form quite large clumps.  

I did buy one grass, a red Uncinia, which is a low growing type of native sedge with pretty mahogany-red foliage.

Uncinia rubra, a native sedge-grass

Using grass to landscape Te Papa Museum, Wellington (1998)

Then this afternoon we had a surprise visit from my brother and his wife.  We nattered over a cuppa and a couple of biscuits and talked about all sorts of things.  Always nice to catch up with family.

It will be another late night / early morning as I am staying up to watch the rugby again.  First we have Wales v France, followed by Japan v South Africa.  Both should be exciting games.  Last night the English won their game against Australia, and our All Blacks won against Ireland.  This means at next week’s semi-finals New Zealand will be playing England.  Australia and Ireland are now out of the competition and heading home.

Chicken casserole, steamed broccoli, and boiled rice for dinner tonight.  Should make a good fork-dinner to eat in front of TV!

Take care,
Margaret




8 comments:

  1. I thought of you Margaret when Tom was watching the Rugby. It went both our ways! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought of you as the All Blacks won their match, hubby is now watching Wales and france, which is still close, fingers crossed Wales win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never watched rugby. Enjoy. I’m cheering for NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another supporter for New Zealand!
      Thankyou Marie :)

      Delete
  4. I hope that red grass does well for you. Most grasses here seem to survive the dry summers we have been getting better than many perennials so I've been picking some up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it does too. Personally, I prefer lots of flowers but son loves grasses and I agree, they do do better when the summer is dry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx