RECIPES

Monday 21 October 2019

The Australian Coot




An Australian Coot


This bird, as the name suggests, is an immigrant to New Zealand from Australia and is part of the Rail family of birds.  Because they are self-introduced they are regarded by law as being a native species, although the first official record of them breeding here was not made until 1958.

Their preferred habitat is freshwater lakes, especially where there is submerged vegetation and reed-covered islands.  Most of their diet is made up of aquatic vegetation.


A coot swimming in its preferred habitat


Coots are about half as big again as a blackbird, and have the most amazing fleshy feet that are used to help propel them when diving and swimming.


The feet appear out of proportion to the body of the bird

A closer view of those amazing feet


The first time I saw this bird was in the 1970s when it was still relatively rare.  I thought I had discovered a new species!  And I had, but alas, it was only new to me.


Australian Coots can be found here, at Lake Rotoiti, near Rotorua (2009)


It was a late start for me this morning, having stayed up again to watch the rugby games in Japan.  Another week to wait now, and then we will have the World Cup semi-finals.  Of course, the match I will really want to watch will be the New Zealand v England one.

So far today has been a reasonable one weather-wise, with a few nasty showers and some gusty wind upsetting the sunshine.  Son has been repairing the paling fence between us and one of the neighbours and is doing a great job.  He has also dug out the stump of a small tree that was cut down a few weeks ago.  I've not been nearly as energetic!  Hung the washing out, cleaned the kitchen, put the dishwasher on, made tomato and cheese sandwiches for lunch.  Not much for one morning.  But the afternoon is still quite young, so I am sure I will find something else to do.

Enjoy your day,
Margaret

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know we had those in NZ, different colours but they kind of remind me of Takahes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Amy. They are related to both takahes and pukekos. I believe they are still not that common in areas that do not have large lakes for them to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoyed the rugby, I have a very happy Welsh hubby, who has said the All Blacks will win, they are playing the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great hubby you have! I did enjoy watching the rugby - I thought the French were going to win for a while, but I was glad the Welsh made it through.

      Delete
  4. From what my Dad was saying you have to have internet access if you want to be able to fully watch the Rugby. He has been very disappointed that he has been unable to watch it as they don't have connectivity where they live (or if they do it is very poor!)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do need internet to get all of the matches. The All Blacks matches are played on TV, but it is delayed coverage. I am very fortunate that my son has excellent internet connection for his work and also likes rugby, so he has bought the necessary subscription to receive coverage of the games.

      Delete
  5. Such an unusual looking bird, especially the feet. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have coots on the ponds near us, every year they nest and I just love their little chicks, adorable! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We rarely see any coots here in summer but now that the weather is getting colder large numbers of them have come down from the north to spend the winter. They sure do have strange looking feet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx