RECIPES

Saturday 19 October 2019

Sold!


A family arrived this morning to take away my dining table and chairs that sold online during the week.  My husband and I purchased it around two years ago and it is solid timber (I believe it is Vietnamese pine) and very heavy.  The sort of sturdy heavy that would make it an excellent place to shelter beneath during an earthquake!  I loved the small side drawer in this table, as it was a great place to keep place-mats, but with only one smallish dining area in this house and a rimu dining suite already in residence, my big table was superfluous and so I listed it for sale on Trade Me (our online marketplace similar to Ebay).  It is nice to see it going to a family who can make good use of it.


The pine dining table and chairs, sold to a family today


I think that will be the last big thing I need to dispose of.  I thought about selling my dressing table but have decided I will keep that.  It is a beautiful piece of wood furniture, about eighty years old, and will be far more durable than the new drawers it is keeping company with.  The drawers may be nice, as they are still new, but they will not last the distance as they are only made of veneered particle board.  Nothing beats good solid timber, and maybe one day my dressing table will become someone’s treasured antique.  Don’t look too closely at my photo though!  I see that reflected in the mirror is the pile of goodies that I am still working through to sort out.  One day my bedroom will be neat and tidy and not have piles of stuff-to-sort-out in it anymore.  Won't that be nice?

My rimu dressing table

The weather today has been blustery and cloudy, but our early morning showers have gone and some weak sunshine has being doing its best to cheer the day up.  Not enough to entice me outside though.  I wrote a long email to my daughter and then watched a couple of documentaries on Netflix about Ancient Civilisations – very thought provoking, to think there may have been people living on this earth long before our current recorded history.

A rose covered water-wheel with punga tree-ferns in the background


The Rugby World Cup quarter-finals begin tonight, so it will be another late night for me.  First there will be the England v Australia match, followed by our own All Blacks playing Ireland.  I am expecting both to be good games to watch, but TV coverage for the All Blacks match does not begin until 11.15pm so it will be tomorrow before I can lay down my head.  Just as well I sneaked off for a quick snooze after lunch!

Have a great weekend,
Margaret

10 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized you had a blog, Margaret, so I hope to be able to look in at yours now The dressing table is pretty, you are right to keep that, but well done on selling your dining suite lovely tough it is.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to have you here, Margaret. I have enjoyed your blog for a long time but having my own blog is very new for me. I am loving it! It is like suddenly making lots of friends from around the world.

      Delete
  2. I love your dressing table. You are right about old furniture lasting longer. We have a house of old secondhand furniture that I'm sure will last longer than we do! Enjoy the rugby. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old furniture has a special feel about it. Your home sounds like it would feel very welcoming and cozy.
      Thankyou, I did enjoy the rugby. They were both great matches - but I am glad we won!

      Delete
  3. Hubby will watch the matches over the weekend, his beloved Wales play tomorrow, and if they win you will hear his cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight (Sunday evening) we will have the Japan v South Africa game after the Wales v France game. I will be cheering on Wales, just for your husband!

      Delete
  4. You are doing a great job of sorting through things. Well done so far. You’ll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Marie. Sometimes I just get a bit impatient - I would rather it was all finished yesterday, but can see progress so it should be finished before Christmas (I hope!).

      Delete
  5. How lovely and sturdy that pine table and chairs look.As you say, some other family will now enjoy it. The table and chairs we have are maple and over 40 years old but hardly showing wear and tear in spite of raising 5 kids and as many grands too. It's no longer my 'style' but nothing new that we could afford would be as hardy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What memories your table must hold! I think that it is wonderful you have had it all these years; it must almost be a family heirloom.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.