RECIPES

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Over The Lewis Pass


Twelve months ago I was in the South Island, visiting friends and family and doing a bit of sightseeing as I traveled around.

The main route between Nelson and Christchurch is the road that leads over the scenic Lewis Pass, across the Southern Alps.  This road was opened in 1937 and leads first through trees of Southern Beech with their black trunks.


The Maruia Falls are found a short distance before heading into the mountains.  They were created by the 1929 Murchison Earthquake, and this photo was taken in 2012 when the Falls were in flood.


At the summit of the Pass is found the entrance to St James Walkway.  Hidden not far from the car parking area can be found a very pretty mountain tarn.


This little lake can have amazing reflections, a bit like in this photo that was taken on an earlier visit.


The birds here can be very friendly.  This one is a little Tomtit.


A South Island Robin also came visiting.

  
There are some lovely river views to be had when coming down the Canterbury side of the Pass, but very few places to safely stop and photograph them.


Lewis Pass (and a couple of voracious sandflies!) was soon left behind, as the road headed down towards the Canterbury Plains and the city of Christchurch.


It is great to go visiting different places when we can.  There is always so much to see and new memories to create, even if we have been to the same place before.

Have an awesome day J
Margaret.





22 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness....what beautiful views! I just would so love to see these for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The South Island road trip in certainly on our bucket list! I've been to some places but I want to be like a tourist in my own country! Now that we won't be doing our planned overseas travel anytime soon, we will be doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to drive over that road. Incredible scenery. I always enjoy your NZ travel photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these lovely photos, brings back some great memories from when my husband and I did that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photo's such a beautiful pace to drive through and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great views, but the birds really made it. Soooo cute.

    Thank you for the journey, and to a great day, I xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely shots of the birds. I almost certainly will never make it to New Zealand and it is with regret that I come to the conclusion. There would be so many special birds to see. If I could pick only one it would be the Wrybill, with any of the Kiwis close behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame, David, for you would have enjoyed it. I have never seen a wrybill here (I believe they are mostly in the South Island), but I have seen each of the kiwis although they were all in captivity. I have heard them at night in the wild, and found those times to be special experiences.

      Delete
  8. Oh New Zealand! views change every several minutes like you are taken to another world, that's how my student describes your country which is also her country now :) I love love to drive along (as a passenger, I dont know how to drive HAHA) those snowcaped mountains! The falls look a bit scary though with the rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful landscapes - they let me dream of my stay with friends in Christchurch!
    And, I can tell you, those sandflies loved me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sandflies were much bigger than those we get at home here in Hamilton, and they are voracious as well as vicious. I hope you had lots of insect repellent to help! :)

      Delete
  10. Fabulous vistas! Love those shots of the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed going over the pass with you. Never having been to NZ it's so interesting to see these photos and read your words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful place to visit. I can imagine myself driving on that road for a simple day in nature. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  13. We went through that pass on our trip to NZ. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the picture of the lake with the reflections. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been to the south island much so I really enjoyed your photos! The birds are always a welcome sight.

    Your corner is beautiful this week! Thanks for sharing it at the 'My Corner of the World' link up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pictures are breathtaking. It must be beautiful over there where you live. The little birds are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think your country is full of beauty as well. Perhaps, if we look for it, every country is beautiful in its own way :)

      Delete
  17. I hope everyone's safe and staying safe. I just read that the virus is mutating and getting much more dangerous. I don't want to alarm anyone but it's time to get right with God, cause this is getting downright scary! Stay home and stay safe, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures!It is nice that we can share the beauty of each others countries with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx