RECIPES

Monday 4 May 2020

Words and Birds


What a funny language English is!  It is my native tongue and I thought I had a reasonably good understanding of it, but lately I’ve been challenged on a couple of terms.


I have always believed that the word “eliminate” meant to eradicate, or completely remove something, but apparently epidemiologists use it to describe bringing something under control even though it is still present.


Hospital patients are described as comfortable, stable, serious, or critical, depending on the severity of their condition.  I’ve always assumed “stable” meant they were in a baddish condition but it wasn’t life-threatening.  It actually means what it says (and not a home for horses!) – a patient can be in a critical condition but be called stable because he was critical yesterday.


Then there is Domestic Tourism.  Overseas tourism is people visiting from another country and then traveling around spending money, so domestic tourism must be local people traveling around and spending money – right?  Wrong!  It actually refers to every single dollar spent locally by a resident – whether that is the monthly hairdressing appointment, the weekly grocery shop, or the daily cup of coffee – as well as when we go on holiday.  I never knew that before!

I guess there is always something new to learn every day J


We have had a lot of steady rain in the last 24 hours.  This morning there is heavy cloud cover and thunderstorms are being predicted for this afternoon.  Another good day to work on my family history book!


The photos are some of the birds that I have seen in the United States.  Can anyone name them for me?

Have a great day J
Margaret



17 comments:

  1. The first bird is some kind of hawk, a bird of pray. But I have no idea which one. The second one is a hummingbird, again not sure the variety. I am wondering if it is a Rufous humingbird...the third is a Great Blue Heron, I don't know the 4th...and the last is a Eurasion collared dove.

    I think your and my definition of eliminate is the right one, though they may mean they are removing the threat but still it is confusing...I actually understood what stable meant, but was totally with you on domestic tourism! So you have taught me new stuff today. Hope I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure on the birds identification but I enjoyed seeing them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post because I really like both words and birds!
    I'm glad Rose identified that dove as a Eurasian collared dove. We have them around here and people insist on calling them mourning doves, which they are not. The latter do not have that partial dark ring on the back of their necks. They do sound an awful lot the same though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got some decent rain. Fine and sunny here today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Margaret! We know the same thing about the word Eliminate! Filipinos are native English speakers too and we usually use the word eliminate on game shows when a round has to remove several players on the game. And yes, that stable word as well, I thought it means there is good development but now I found out from you that you can be stable and still be in a bad condition if you did not get worse from it. ughhh crazy it is.

    But these photos are so relaxing Margaret love the one that kinda looks like a lapwing with a horned feather but seems light for a lapwing. (learned about lapwings from my friend Phil's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, off topic, but that second pic!!
    Sooooo sweet!
    You made me laugh, sorry, about the stable, to me - and English is not my Mother´s tongue, it means... well in a stable condition, I never thought of a place to keep animals.
    Funny, languages are, indeed!
    And after having read this I think German is quite an easy language!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to ascribe logic to the English language is an exercise in futility. Yet it is wonderfully rich and descriptive, isn't it? It drives me crazy when the only adjectives people can find are "cool" and "neat" and use them ad nauseam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I see Rose above has id your birds. Words can be interesting and their definitions and way they are interpreted. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha! You are working on family history.... me too. Did you know that Ancestry is giving free access to all it's records from May 4 to May 10 to commemmorate VE Day? It may be just for UK records.... but try it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We’re not supposed to see the sun all week. I hate to have to use the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Margaret,
    Thanks for the clarification. I also thought like you.
    What beautiful birds, I loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yes the eliminate word, I thought the same as you and yes I heard and read the kerfuffle on our news about it, I thought the sqaubbling over it was quite silly but that's politics aye

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned something new today too ;-D Love birds, we have a couple of grey herons that hang around, they've been here a few years I've been told, they're quite bold and are not at all bothered when our dogs bark at them as they stroll up our drive as if they owned the place, perhaps they did before the house were built!
    Regarding the labels, Google 'Jam Labelizer" you can print your own off if you need some at any time

    ReplyDelete
  14. A large Hawk of some kind, a Hummingbird and a Great Blue Heron...the rest I have no idea one looks like a dove:) Never to old to give up learning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next to last looks just like a tufted titmouse, common where I live in Pennsylvania. This is my first visit and really like reading your posts and enjoying your photos. It's Mother's Day here in the States tomorrow, so I'll wish you a Happy Mother's Day!!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Ruth :)
      I am happy you have enjoyed browsing through my blog. Thanks for the bird name, and you have a great Mother's Day as well :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx