RECIPES

Friday 15 May 2020

Bursting Bubbles




Yesterday there were Bubbles bursting all over New Zealand!  Our private ‘bubbles’ of folk we isolated with are now allowed to carefully mix with other bubbles.  The majority of business is now open, with restrictions in place, and we are finally allowed to meet with other family members again.


I have not been off our property for eight weeks and came to the realization that I had lost my confidence and didn’t want to go shopping – partly because I had no idea what to expect.  I’m aware that the world has changed and it sounded a bit scary (I must be getting old!).

So when son said he was going to the supermarket I went with him.  It was the right move to make.  I did my own shopping but he was there if I felt like I needed some support.  Next time I will go alone.


Yesterday was also Budget Day.  The Minister of Finance announced an extensive range of ways the government intends to help to get our economy back up and running.

It will entail the borrowing of billions and will apparently take around eight years for our country to recover from such a debt.


We watched the Budget live on Parliament TV.  New Zealand has five sitting political parties and each leader spoke in the following Debate.  One made it an electioneering platform, one spoke a lot of waffle very eloquently, and one appeared to be more than a little drunk.  The next lost his party’s identity in that of a larger party, and the final one spoke about moderation and common sense.  It was all quite interesting!


We are facing the dawning of another Age.   As we head off into the future of New Normal we will have to learn to live with the Covid-19 threat to our lives.

Hopefully we will all be able to adapt and thrive,

Margaret J


18 comments:

  1. Have still not braved the big wide world. Not in any hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned something I have been wondering about; how will it be for me when the lockdown ends. Will I lose my confidence about leaving my property? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Australia is going to be in the red for many years to come. Unemployment figures getting worse by the day as well.
    It'll be hard for lots of families as well as individuals. So many will need support, something they've never needed before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot to add - I'm glad your confidence is returning, after a while going out in public won't be as daunting as it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been strange hasn't it? I too lost a lot of confidence but small steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I´m with you, you never know what to expect!
    At first you had to take a tolley, and, surprise, they were for free - usually you need a €1 coin to get one. And there was a security guy.
    Then they were not free no more - I had no coin! - and no baskets, either. Or security.
    Right next a security guy still desinfects a free trolley for you.
    At the store nearby, as you like: trolley - with coin - or basket.
    Crazy times.

    But great you could see your family, if I got that right!
    Hugs I xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to adapting and thriving dear Margaret! Your son is a blessing and gives you comfort especially when you need it outside. It's not that you are getting old that you feel an ounce of fear about going out because I myself am still scared too after 8 weeks of being inside our gates, and since the lockdown will be lifted tomorrow (Those with work will now be allowed to go outside) I will still choose to stay home, thank you very much! Glad our company still allows us to continue with work from home.

    Happy Weekend Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your description of the debate.
    Waffle waffle and lots of piffle.
    You've done better than me. I haven't been into the supermarket yet. I have stood outside a small grocery shop while my husband shopped so that's a tiny step. It's all so odd

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never stopped doing my own shopping, so returning to a supermarket was not an issue, but I wonder whether having to line up to get in, and with restricted numbers of shoppers in the store, will be the new norm. It would be nice just to walk in without any hassle, not have to follow arrows in the floor, buy what I need and leave!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    First, I just love the first and last photos. Beautiful scenes! Hubby and I have been out shopping every week since the lock down started. We have been allowed trips to the food store. Now we are in phase one, more things are starting to open. I am glad you could go shopping with your son. Take care and stay calm. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belle le prime immagini panoramiche. Complimenti.
    Beautiful the first panoramic images. Compliments

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure it will go well soon to go out, Just remember to have clothes on :D.... I liked that joke. It is good that family members can meet again. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand how you felt unsure of yourself. Just from my own experience with something else. I do hope we can all return to somewhat of a normal life. I just don't know when to let Roger in the stores again. He is 68 and has diabetes, had the stroke, has a chronic cough...the cough is going to freak people out. But he so misses being out some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A new world for sure Margaret! Let’s hope it is one we can live in for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you are getting some loosening of restrictions. Nice that you could go shopping with your son this first time out after 8 long weeks.
    We did our grocery shopping this morning but we have been doing that every week before 8 am during 'senior hour'. I'm sure glad everyone had clothes on. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here in the UK, my husband and I have only recently been out for a couple of walks down the road to our beautiful woodland and river. Yes, that was scary too! We’ve been having supermarket deliveries as my husband has health issues, but we have been able to drive in our ’bubble’ to our daughter’s house a few miles away to ‘run and dump’ (deliver!) her part of the shopping but we haven’t had to venture out to the supermarket, but when we do, we’ll certainly be on edge. Everyone, everywhere, take care. We WILL get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are braver than I in going into the supermarket! I have been having deliveries made and curbside pick up, where they bring your shopping to your car. Restrictions are easing, here, too, but, I am not venturing out, yet. Not everyone is complying with the required social distancing inside the stores or wearing masks, etc. I am afraid there will be a huge spike in new cases in another couple of weeks or so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is sure a mess. We are staying home yet even though more businesses are opening:) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx