RECIPES

Saturday 9 May 2020

Garden Bugs


We have thick fog here this morning, with a muted shiny globe of sun trying to break through.  Once the fog clears the sun is meant to shine, but it will still be cooler than it has been.  Autumn is advancing and winter is coming!

We have had a few different insect sightings around the garden over the last few weeks.  Insects are always with us, if we only stop to see them.  This one is a Grasshopper that was sitting on the fence post.


These two Praying Mantids were presumably mating and not trying to eat each other, as is their cannibalistic tendency.  The female should soon be laying eggs that will hatch next spring.


Stick Insects are not that common, at least to find.  Their camouflage can be highly efficient, disguising themselves as twigs (brown or green) on different trees – we only see them when they move away from their usual haunts.


Our Brassicas (cabbage family plants) have been getting ravaged by Cabbage White caterpillars, so yesterday I dusted the plants with some Derris Dust and squashed any little green fatties that I could find.  

Hidden among the foliage I found the beginnings of a cauliflower.


This cabbage is also beginning to heart up.  I thought I might have planted things too close together, but nature has a way of still doing what it needs to do.


I found this quote the other day, by Hans Christian Anderson –

“The whole world is a series of miracles, but we’re so used to them we call them ordinary things.”

Enjoy nature all around you J
Margaret.


12 comments:

  1. I saw a video of a praying mantis killing and eating (at the same time) one of the murder hornets they are talking so much about here in Washington State these days. The huge hornets are a danger to the honeybee population. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know Praying Mantises do not eat "each other." It is only the female that eats the make after mating. I sure hope it was sheer ecstasy for the male!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your caulis and cabbages are well ahead of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we do have Praying Mantises in Canada but I have never seen any.
    I see the Cabbage Butterflies in my backyard but they won't find any cabbage around here. I've read that they also lay their eggs on Nasturtiums...those they may be able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collection of insects reminds me of ours. We will have a good selection in a month's time.
    Our enemy is the garden snail. I've collected dozens of them.
    Nice looking cabbage and cauli. Good eating

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hans was wise! There is so much beauty is we but stop and look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, neat variety of insect photos. I like the walking stick, I have never found one. I hope your veggies are safe from the insects. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, for a Filipino, I am quite a big guy, but these bugs just make me a cry baby anytime! I am so scared of them! Especially grasshoppers and those that fly OMG! I remember when I visited my cousin in Tokyo, we went to a sacred tea garden. Luckily it was just us visiting on that area of Meiji because when we saw the mantis, we ran sooo fast and screaming. It would have been very disrespectful if there were other tourists but it really scared us so much HAHA.

    Love the cabbage! My brother did coleslaw last Wednesday, this reminded me of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, my goodness, I LOVE that quote...it is so true. And we never even know. Till someone points it out to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is still too cool here for those insects, but it won't be long. I like the quote. It's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to spot some of these little insects! They can really blend in to their surroundings! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I love that quote, you did find some interesting insects. Your cabbage looks great.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great new week! PS, thank you for the visit and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx