RECIPES

Sunday 10 May 2020

Mother's Day


Today is Mother’s Day, a day set aside to especially appreciate mothers – of which I am one!

We don’t do gifts, instead, we talk and hug and laugh together.  We do this other days as well, but it is always nice to have special attention on this day, and I have enjoyed speaking with my far-flung children this morning.

It is ten years since my own dear mother left this world.  I still miss her smiling face, her care and concern, the little talks we shared together.  She will always remain in a special place in my heart.


I found this old photo (taken sometime in the 1930s) of my mother with her mother, and her mother – three generations together!

  
Thirty years later the photo was repeated – with myself, my mother, and her mother.


I first became a mother myself in 1974.  My children have enriched my life and given me much pleasure (and strife!) over the years.


I thought this made a lovely poem for Mother’s Day:

I KNOW A FACE, A LOVELY FACE,
AS FULL OF BEAUTY AS OF GRACE,
A FACE OF PLEASURE, EVER BRIGHT,
IN UTTER DARKNESS IT GIVES LIGHT.
A FACE THAT IS ITSELF LIKE JOY,
TO HAVE SEEN IT I’M A LUCKY BOY;
BUT I’VE A JOY THAT HAVE FEW OTHER,
THIS LOVELY WOMAN IS MY MOTHER.

It was written by Edward Wyndham Tennant especially for Lady Glenconner, his mother.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the great mothers out there J
Margaret.


16 comments:

  1. Your mother looks a lovely lady. How good to have those photos. Have a Happy Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your day was wonderful Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look a lot like your mother, I think! How lovely to have those photos of your mother with her mother and grandmother and of you with your mother and grandmother! Happy Mother's Day to you, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely your mother is Margaret! Yours and my mom passed away about the same time a decade ago. I know your mom was a great mother because she raised a loving mom and friend like you to your children and to all of us your friends! Happy Mother's Day to you Margaret! Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Margaret!

    Happy Mother's Day to you! Love the photos! What a lovely tribute and post. The poem is beautiful. My mother's name was Margaret, she passed in Nov 1992. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother's Day presupposes that all mothers are kind, and good, and virtuous, and loving and on and on. I can assure you that it is not always so. Mothers are not always the paragons of goodness, virtue and saintliness they are often portrayed to be. Some are downright cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are women like that - they may be biological mothers, but I don't regard them as "mothers." I feel Mother's Day stands for loving motherliness - and love is something this world needs more of. Even if you had a bad mother, it is still possible to look for goodness in true maternal love and this is what we need to celebrate.

      Delete
  7. Happy Mothers Day to you and to all Mums out there! My Mum passed away 40 years ago.... and I still miss her! And now I have two wonderful daughters-in-law who are super duper mums to my four grandies, Sadly I never had any grandmas, they had both died before I came along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad Shammickite, that you never knew your grandmas, but I'm glad that your grandies will know you :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Mother's Day to you, too! I love that you have these pics. Our family has so few pics...I am talking of my mom and brothers and sisters. I bet what we all have combine would not half fill a photo album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rose, how sad that is and I imagine you treasure those you do have. Photos are wonderful to look at but it is in our hearts and memories that our real 'photos' are kept. We never forget those that we love.

      Delete
  9. Happy Mother's day! The two photos of the three generations are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the days when Mothering Sunday was a day to be devoted to visiting and celebrating one's Mother. My mother died in 2002. Both my parents still figure large in my life. I was fortunate in my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing the photos of the generations! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No habo mucho inglés...pero que hermoso ver esas fotos!!..Tú tienes un rostro hermoso y dulce como tu mamá y tu abuela!!!......Love your pics...very beatiful!!!..I can'nt speak much english..but you have a sweet face like your mom and grandmother!!!...Love and hugs...Vanessa...from Pueto Rico island!!!...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx