RECIPES

Monday 11 May 2020

Pandemic Thoughts


I like our Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern.  She is a wonderful woman with a big heart, but I begin to think she has made a dreadful mistake.

New Zealand had a Pandemic Plan.  It had been carefully and expertly formulated to guide our nation’s response to any pandemic threat we may need to face.  When WHO announced Covid-19 as a ‘pandemic’ every household in the country was sent a pamphlet detailing what The Plan was.

I found this pamphlet yesterday when throwing out some old newspapers and sat down to read it again.  The Plan listed four levels of response.  It stated the criteria needed to enter each level, and the response that would be required at that level.

If we followed the levels that were set out, there would have been no reason for us to enter Level 4 (the heaviest response level) as we did.  That is reserved for rampant community transmission and a disease totally out of control, which we did not have.

We have had zero community transmission, thanks to widespread testing, contact tracing, and the border controls that were put in place.  This is great, and yet all our Cabinet Ministers have now been gagged and are not allowed to give interviews or respond to any Press questions without prime ministerial permission.  Why?

I begin to believe it is because the government responded to Covid-19 with panic and fear, instead of following the Pandemic Plan that existed.  I have heard officials say we will ‘eradicate’ the disease in our country, but that is impossible.

No disease on earth can be totally eradicated.  It can be managed.  Vaccines and Treatment Plans can be used to help control a disease, but it will never go away completely.

We NEED restrictions to control this coronavirus until we have vaccines and treatments that work, but then we will need to learn how to live with it.  And, just like influenza, new strains will appear every year and people will die from it (several different strains already exist).

Green lettuce seaweed washed ashore -
things happen and we have to learn to deal with them

Later this afternoon the government will be announcing if we can reduce our response another level.  It will be interesting to see what they will be saying.


Forgive me for my ranting and raving, but I feel better for having written it down!
Take care and stay safe J
Margaret.


I see the government is now in damage control mode - they have defended their 'transparency' saying the leaked email (about gagging the ministers) was clumsy and incorrect.  Just wanted to make that clear.

5 p.m. UPDATE:
I am so happy.  Our country has been congratulated by the PM on getting control of this virus and over the next ten days everything will be opened up again, with the proviso of social distancing and keeping group numbers below ten (and this will rise gradually as the situation allows).  What will remain in place is the closure of our international borders, and this will be for an indefinite period of time (although it appears we may open up with Australia in the not too distant future).
The onus is now on the people of this country to be vigilant and kind – and to be sensibly careful J

32 comments:

  1. We are on the other end in the States. We are opening up too fast after protests and political choice not to support those states that want to reduce the already staggering death toll. There may be a "happy" medium, but I don't what that is. I'm fearful and staying home as much as I can. And I'm definitely going out into large crowds like some are already. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it is good to be sensible (especially us "vulnerable oldies"), and to take responsibility for our own safety regardless of what is happening around us. Stay safe both of you :)

      Delete
  2. But the reason we didn't get to out-of-control spread was only because we moved so fast into L4 - and could have controlled it even better if mandatory isolation was enforced for all overseas arrivals earlier. We have dodged a major disaster. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I too am glad things haven't been worse. My point was that the government didn't follow The Plan that had been formulated, and I personally feel this has contributed to a lot of confusion and conflicting rules that we perhaps didn't have to go through.

      Delete
  3. What a well written post Margaret. Each country went their own way with varying results.. I agree it will never be eradicated- hopefully we'll all get it under control.

    I'm sure you'll have read how each of our (Australian) states are now allowed to relax restrictions. Of course - being a federation of states - we're all going about it in different ways :). I'd love to be able to sit down and enjoy an actual cup of coffee rather than takeaway......can't do it here in Victoria whereas in other states that's allowed. Better safe than sorry is the mantra of our Premier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Cathy. It is expected that controls will be in place within the next 18 months so fingers crossed. Our cafes are opening again in a couple of days - but I'm not sure I will want to visit them just yet. Stay safe :)

      Delete
  4. We didn't receive that leaflet. Saw it in some letterboxes on our morning walk but did not get one ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have received one. It makes quite interesting reading as it was quite logical and well formulated.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think our letterbox (which is large) was missed out somehow. I still believe that they did the right thing though. Better to go tough at the start.

      Delete
    3. I am very thankful Susan that things have not been worse here. I feel for those who are overseas and have had to face some dreadful times (I have several close family members overseas, including one in Milan, so I have some idea what they have been going through).

      Delete
  5. Hi Margaret, Here in B.C. we will find out tomorrow which businesses will be allowed to re-open and just how they will operate under this "new normal". I'm anxious for us to go ahead all the while being cautious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've just been told everything will be open, with a few restrictions like social distancing, within the next ten days - but I think I will still be very cautious about where I am going.

      Delete
  6. I didn't get that pamphlet either, Margaret but anything that was published back then (it does seem so long ago) would have changed 10 times between now and then anyway. I'm so relieved that small businesses will now be able to get back up and running and that we can travel further afield although I won't hold my breath for a trip to Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to resume traveling around NZ like I was last year, but I think it will be a while before I do that again. I'm not even sure that I want to go out to the shops after being home for so many weeks, as I find the thought of doing so a bit daunting.

      Delete
  7. I wish England had been as strict as NZ, but we are so wishy washy over here it is unbelievable. They are only JUST putting in motion quarantine restrictions for those flying into the country - later this week I think it is, can't remember the dates. Incredible! This should have been done right at the start. Now we are lifting general restrictions/lockdown and I fear it is too early. Already people had been abusing it and meeting up in groups, so goodness knows what will happen now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around the world there seem to be people gathering together, some of them in very abusive protesting groups wanting things to open up. These are such strange times we are living in.

      Delete
  8. It is always very disturbing when politicians and government officials are prohibited from talking to the media, so I am glad this has proven not to be the case in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they are saying that is not what they meant but in typical politician fashion they won't now come out directly and say it. Sometimes it is very difficult to know who is speaking truth and who has twisted it slightly, as well as the plain liars.

      Delete
  9. Hello, NZ has been handling this pandemic very well. It is good to have a government leader who is truthful and gives out correct information. I am willing to wait until it is safe, I am not sure if I will ever feel comfortable with the old normal. Take care, stay well! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very scary times, in Poland it's not s bad, because our government quickly decided about closing a lot of places. We shall not form grups and stay home as much as we can, plus wearing masks whenever we are out, that is wise, I think. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Natalia :)
      We do not have to wear masks unless we want to. Our population is well spread out and social distancing is fairly easy to maintain. Stay safe :)

      Delete
  11. Well done New Zealand. Caution is the key for sure! We didn’t have community transmission on PEI and all 27 cases are recovered. The island is closed to outside visitors too. We were lucky. Let’s hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A large amount of our cases were sourced from overseas travelers returning to NZ, and most of them have recovered. I'm glad to hear your Island is still closed (as are our international borders) and you are able to be safer.

      Delete
  12. The onus is on the people now. That's what they are saying here now. Older children start school again today and businesses open. As far as I can see,especially around here the feeling is that's it's all open and we are all waiting for cafes and tavernas to open , on June 1 , so life will be as before.
    As usual, we shall stay at home and watch what happens elsewhere. I hope everyone is safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe being responsible for your own self-care and protection is going to be the big factor in how we face this in the future. Stay safe :)

      Delete
  13. I am glad you feel better...I can't say that I have been extremely scared, but I have been careful. And wonder will I ever feel totally relaxed again. So does that mean I am more afraid than I realize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I think about it logically then I am not afraid, but there is a huge swell of fear lurking beneath the surface in news reports, social media etc. and I keep picking up on that.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations to New Zealand and all its people! I am very happy Margaret that your lives are slowly going back to normal with proper plans and following of its citizens. In the Philippines, it's a greatly different story. Our lockdown will be lifted by the end of the week even if the numbers are strill on the rise, government gives priorities to businessmen :( I just hope many citizens will use their own brains and will stay at home as much as they can but with the Filipino's "resiliency" it's a sad forecast to what will happen.

    Sending you hugs Margaret! Thanks for sending photos of the sea, I really need those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your own precautions and keep yourself safe - I think that is all we can do really. Hugz :)

      Delete
  15. Hi, new reader here (came over from Chris H's blog). I was really pleased to go into Level 4 because at that time we just didn't know what was in the country and there was some community transmission. I'm pretty happy with all the decisions made and also happy that we are opening up again. I just hope we don't screw it up!! I'm happy I found your blog, most people seem to have stopped their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lynda :)
      I am happy things were not allowed to get really bad. It is hard sometimes to find something to blog about when in lockdown and doing the same old mundane things every day! Stay safe :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx