RECIPES

Saturday 16 May 2020

A Cosy Evening


The cooler evenings of autumn are now with us and the sun is setting earlier and earlier each day – it is, after all, only five weeks now until the Shortest Day arrives.


Most evenings we are lighting the fire.  The house is well insulated and the fire only needs to be ticking over to keep everything nicely warm and cosy.

I can sit in my favourite armchair and watch TV while soaking up the warmth of the flickering fire.



We had a lamb roast for dinner last night and I was going to photograph it – but was so hungry I ate it before I remembered!  With the lamb, we had baked potato, kumara, parsnip and swede, boiled silver beet (Swiss chard) from the garden, and homemade gravy.

No wonder I was happy afterwards to just sit by the fire!


There wasn’t much I wanted to watch on TV though – the programme I enjoyed most was one called Wild Britain, with Ray Mears.  When that finished I completed reading my latest book – The English Cottage Garden by Jane Taylor and Andrew Lawson (published 1994).

It is mostly a book to browse, with some gorgeous photos of cottage gardens, but also contains a brief and interesting history of cottage gardens in England.


A hot cup of Lady Grey tea and a small piece of Brownies that granddaughter made, and my evening was complete.


Nothing like a comfortable lazy evening to set one up for a good night’s sleep J
Margaret.



22 comments:

  1. I didn't notice that programme but perhaps you have Sky. We watched "the Repair Shop" which we always enjoy. Your Dinner sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on the Hope Channel. I found it by accident when I went browsing.

      Delete
  2. Sounds perfect to me. Hope you did have a good sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds warm and snug, I love those types of evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the only other person I know who drinks Lady Grey tea. Lovely.

    You have, however, upset my morning. If you have 5 weeks until your days start getting longer we have 5 weeks until ours start getting shorter. Mind you there's a huge difference because at midnight at Midsummer it doesn't get dark here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Grey has been my "tea of choice" for many years now. I love it :)

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to say that I love the first pic of the old house in the evening sun - beautiful! And while we don't watch/have a tv we do on occasion watch a great NZ series on Acorn called 'The Brokenwood Mysteries' (or something like that). Its the funniest murder mystery show I've seen! And Grantchester because it's set in 50's Britain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dinner and evening sounds delicious! Oh no like Graham, I don't want our days start to get shorter! I am just getting used to having more daylight, it is lovely to wake up in the morning to the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sort of dreading it as well - after that day is when our weather turns really cold and nasty. Brrr :)

      Delete
  7. Hello, first I must say your header scene and photo is gorgeous. The fire looks warm and cozy. I love brownies, yum! Sounds like a lovely evening! Enjoy your day, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of Lady Grey tea - Earl Grey, but not Lady Grey. Mind you, I am not much of a tea drinker so I would be the last person to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Grey is quite different, and much milder in my books. My son-in-law loves his Earl Grey :)
      I never drink coffee LOL :)

      Delete
  9. Looks beautiful countryside, yes autumn here needs a fire too. Yours looks very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, before I forget...love the new banner photo...how it makes me want to go there. And your very first shot...I love it so much. I so wish I had a place to build a fire. I love to sit by a fire...be it in a stove or a fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so comfortable to sit beside a fire, isn't it? I especially love it now, when I no longer have to be the person who sets it, lights it, tends to it, and then cleans it afterwards! Son does all of that and I just reap the benefits :)

      Delete
  11. Now that is one beautiful day Margaret! From that lamb roast and that fire place, to that brownies (my favorite!!!). What a great Autumn day it is there. Hope your Sunday will even be much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autumn definitely has its compensations. Sitting by the fire and not having one single garden chore to do for one. Well, that's two, isn't it.
    We watched some episodes of Wild Britain and enjoyed Ray Mear's casual style. We enjoy nature programs like his a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is certainly getting dark much quicker! We don't have a fire... I think this house once had one but not now. I haven't found it very cold yet, which is weird for the Waikato at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt fate Chris LOL. Hamilton is always cold and foggy and damp - it just hasn't arrived yet!

      Delete
  14. Your meal sounds yummy even better that it's out of your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely room in which to sit and enjoy the fire and watch TV! Your dinner sounds good, too. I had to look up kumara - it is called sweet potatoes, here, I guess. The brownie is a perfect dessert for such a dinner. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx