RECIPES

Wednesday 20 May 2020

Visiting Mapua


Not that long ago, Mapua was a sleepy little village nestled on the edge of Tasman Bay between Nelson and Motueka.  Now a lot of people have discovered what a pleasant place this is to live in, and the town has increased accordingly.

There are now many shops and eateries built in the vicinity of the wharf.  This photo shows one end of the area.


The wharf still operates for small craft, and cafes in this area are a great place to sit with a cuppa and look out towards the sea.


The spot is shared with Hamish the Heron, a lovely wood sculpture.


Around the back of Mapua village is the Waimea Estuary, a safe harbour for launching and mooring small boats.


Next door to Mapua can be found Ruby Bay.  Whenever I visit this area, a trip to Ruby Bay is a must-do, and I always leave with a rock or two.


The whole beach is stones, many of different colours and frequently having streaks of quartz running through them.


Leaving Mapua and heading up into the apple orchards in the hills, there is a good view back over the Estuary.


The Tasman District, where Mapua is situated, is a pretty area to visit and well worth the time if you are ever in the area.

Enjoy your day J
Margaret.


LINKING TO My Corner of the World






22 comments:

  1. Enjoying your posts of places to visit in NZ, there are still so many places here in NZ. Now there are no excuses for holidaying in NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope many domestic people will tour the country over the next year. I find so many have been overseas (some of them a lot!) but not around their own home country and NZ is a beautiful place to visit :)

      Delete
  2. Oh those farm fields of Tasman District is so beautiful! I love the big pebbles on the beach and they look so smooth to my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea tumbles the rocks together and polishes off the rough edges so they are smooth. There is such a variety on this beach.

      Delete
  3. That entire area is on our bucket list of travel. I've been there years ago but there is so much more to see now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the climate around that area as well. A great place to live as well as visit :)

      Delete
  4. I love Mapua. It is years since we were there but I remember a delicious lunch on the wharf. (No several delicious lunches).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand why the town has grown, it's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an enchanting village! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, what a scenic village, the views are beautiful! Enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I can substitute coffee for tea, or even better a glass of wine, I will come and sit with you and gaze out to sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A glass of dry white for me - would be perfect :)

      Delete
  9. My father grew up on Apple orchard here, went to Mahana school, rowed across that estuary . I've only been once many many years ago. It's a wonderful place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! My mother grew up here. Was your father connected with the Salmonds or Archibalds at all?

      Delete
  10. That is plain beautiful! Thank you, I xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful views...love to visit one day.

    # Stay safe, healthy and virus free

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I would never have guessed the the bird was not real! It is so well done. I really enjoyed this post. I love rocks...and pick them up when I can. And we have neighbors that the last two or three places they have went on vacation have brought me home rocks. I would sure enjoy sitting and having cuppa with you and visit while we enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a fellow Rockologist! We would have an awesome time out together, picking up rocks :)

      Delete
  13. Wow, this is a wonderful find. I love the tranquility of the area. Your photos are really great.


    I am so glad that you took the time to share your world at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful area! That last scene is ethereal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx