RECIPES

Wednesday 6 May 2020

Pegasus Bay Winery


Exactly twelve months ago today, I was down the South Island tripping around.  On this particular day a friend invited me to visit the Pegasus Bay Winery with her, situated in the viticulture region of Waipara Valley in north Canterbury.


The entrance to the winery/restaurant/bar is impressive.


This family-run business was established in the mid-1980s and produces award-winning wines from their vineyards, along with operating a restaurant and function centre and hosting the occasional concert.  Their gardens made a lovely backdrop as we sat outdoors in the afternoon sunshine.


While my friend had a glass of wine, I sampled one of their ciders.

I loved the inscription on the bottle:

“SCOUNDRELS AND ROGUES PLEASANTLY CORRUPTED APPLE CIDER
Corruption is good for you!
Alcohol 8.9%
WARNING:  Not to be consumed by narks, scabs, or good Samaritans.
This cider was made by the most irrepressible Scoundrels and Rogues in North Canterbury.  The apples were lifted from numerous sites in the dead of night, and juice was obtained by quietly taking them out back and methodically thrashing them with a sledgehammer.  They were then thrown in the chiller for four days to soften them up before being frozen solid for good measure.  After thawing, the juice was hand-pressed and then fermented in old oak barrels.
This cider is handmade and mildly offensive – but you’ll get over it.”


It was a pleasant way to spend a quiet afternoon – good company, warm sunshine, and a refreshing drink.  Sometimes it is the simple pleasures that stay longest in the memory J
Margaret.



13 comments:

  1. The description of the cider is unique and brings a smile, The simple pleasures have always appealed to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look of that winery. The pink building with its unique windows. Was the inside as attractive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of dark wood inside, which gave it a rich and rather ornate feeling - but it was much nicer sitting outside in the sun :)

      Delete
  4. The winery itself is an impressive building. Lovely grounds. Looks like the perfect place to enjoy a few glasses of impressive alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looks beautiful and perfect place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have opted for the wine, but the cider sounds good too, with a fine tale to add to the pleasure. I hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, the winery looks beautiful. Looks like a nice day spent with your friend. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cider, as I'm from the Westcountry where cider is the drink of choice, or it used to be! I'd love to meet some of those Scoundrels mentioned on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely place to visit! I love reading labels that are sarcastic and funny! Thanks for sharing.

    It's great to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the first photo Margaret! your smile can really brighten all of our days! That cider description is so much fun to read and I really was shocked when I read sledgehammer! OMG I am still laughing with taken from different sites in the dead of night HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds a perfect day out.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun day for you, maybe someday soon you can venture out again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.