RECIPES

Sunday 23 June 2024

Coffee Cake Recipe

A couple of people have asked for my coffee cake recipe - what a great excuse to bake another one!


Begin by preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Grease a 7" diameter ring cake tin with butter, and line the base with baking paper.

Sift 6oz flour and 1 tsp baking powder into the cake mixing bowl.

Add 5oz sugar, 4oz soft butter, 1 Tbsp instant coffee, 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup milk.

Beat with electric cake mixer for 2 minutes, by which time the mixture should be smooth and a light coffee colour.

Spoon into the prepared cake tin and level off the surface.

Bake at 180C until cooked, about 25-30 minutes. 
Turn out onto a cake rack and leave to cool.

Make an icing using 2oz soft butter, 3oz icing sugar and 1 tsp instant coffee. 

Double the icing if wanting to ice the sides as well.
Decorate cake with halved glace cherries or walnut halves

Enjoy cooking - and eating the results!
Margaret xx 


12 comments:

  1. Thank you Margaret, I'll have a go at that this week. My scales convert from Metric to Imperial at the press of a button, so I'll manage just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My scales are just the same - which is just as well as my recipes are a mixture of both imperial and metric!

      Delete
  2. I only ever drink black coffee, but I can't eat anything coffee flavoured, hubby would love your cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the opposite LOL. I can eat coffee cake but I really don't like drinking the stuff :)

      Delete
  3. That looks yummy. Guilty pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so good...Before hiscstrike, Rogervwoukd have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure rises well and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recipe. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay thank you! I love being able to try recipe from far Away I’m going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum. Forbidden food always looks sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious Margaret - unfortunately with all the allergies in the house it's a 'no go' ... maybe if I need to take a plate at some point...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx