RECIPES

Thursday 20 June 2024

A Garden Stroll

 

I took advantage of our reasonably sunny afternoon here today and went for a pleasant stroll around Hamilton Gardens.

There were a few people doing the same thing, but nowhere near enough to say the place was crowded.




The Kitchen Garden was showing off a lush plot of winter vegetables.




I admired this large patch of Globe Artichokes,




And wished my rhubarb would grow as well as this.




The Italian Garden was one of the loveliest of the Theme Gardens I visited (I never had time to go round all of them).




Anyone for a game of Edwardian tennis?  It comes with dainty cream puffs and tiny crustless sandwiches!




Or perhaps you would rather join the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party?




The American Modernist Garden was quiet.  The only other person present to myself, was a gardener scratching around under the shrubs.




I loved this snake-in-the-grass in the Picturesque Garden.




The Waikato River could be glimpsed from some of the Gardens.




It was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Margaret xx

 


14 comments:

  1. I wanted to visit the Hamilton Gardens when I was up there a few years ago but caught the wrong bus which took me to an outer suburb and by the time I got back to where I started I couldn't be bothered trying again. I've always hoped to get back though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an amazing place, looks so quiet and peaceful and warm

    ReplyDelete
  3. That snake statue in the garden is really scary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely excursion. That is the kind of snake in the grass one doesn’t mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that look so beautiful...what a perfect place to spend time. I love it all...the tent, the pool, the garden - I could move in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic gardens. Bravo Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty place to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful. If only we could grow stuff outside in the winter like that!! Please, when were all those gardens created?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens themselves began several decades ago when the area was turned from a rubbish dump into a public park. I believe the themed gardens began about thirty years ago. They are still creating them and their are three new ones currently being built.

      Delete
  9. Rhubarb in the middle of winter! Globe artichokes too - you clearly don't get frost there on your part of the Waikato. That first courtyard design is almost Persian in appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we do get frosts LOL. But I would have to say the last few years have been comparitively mild to what I remember we used to get. Also these plants are growing in a raised bed in an enclosed wall garden, which I imagine protects them even more.

      Delete
  10. Happy first day of winter ( almost). I wonder why our solstice is a day ahead of yours?
    That garden is wonderful and I can see why it would take quite a while to make your way around all the different areas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wish I could visit here...looks so interesting and fun to see. The Mad Hatter's tea party sounds about my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got an artichoke plant in my garden but it's nowhere as big as that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx