RECIPES

Wednesday 12 June 2024

A Birthday Picnic

Sometimes we cannot be with loved ones to help celebrate an event,
 but there is nothing to stop us doing something special for it.
Today was my son-in-law's birthday (in Arizona), so I celebrated by having a little picnic by the Lake.
I thought of him as I blew out the candle!

A pukeko cleaned up the pastry scraps from the steak and cheese pie.
The carrot cake I cleaned up myself!

I watched some older gentlemen sailing their model yachts.

I love the shape of this ancient macrocarpa tree (Monterey cyprus).
Imagine how much it has seen over the years.

The hospital is visible from almost anywhere around the Lake.
Painted white, it always sparkles in the sunshine. 

It was lovely to be able to spend some time out in the fresh air. 
Margaret  xx



9 comments:

  1. Glad to see you had a wee picnic and enjoyed the surroundings, Margaret, as well as celebrating your SIL's birthday, from a distance.
    I love it should I get a hospital bed at Waikato that has a lake view... nothing as easy on the eyes here, unfortunately
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had curtains to look at when I was there last year. It seems to be the luck of the draw if you can see the Lake, and I don't think a lot of beds actually get that amazing view.

      Delete
  2. I love your Pukeko friend. And, that is a particularly fine macrocarpa. Most of the ones about the countryside have been damaged one way or another - fences stapled to them, or grown out of hedges so misshapen from years of hedge cutting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees have such beautiful natural shapes that it is a shame so many of them are ruined.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to celebrate your SIL's birthday...you must love him a lot to.want to do.that. that tree is so beautiful, and I have thoughts like that about wondering what all it has seen as it stood there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is my one and only SIL, so very special, and just like a son to me :)

      Delete
  4. A picnic! Yay! What I would give to have one during the winter like you can, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are a bit different to your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  5. What a delightful idea you had, to celebrate your son-in-law's birthday in spite of the miles between you. I must remember to do something similar when my sisters' birthdays roll around again. (they're 1500 miles away).
    That is a very big hospital!! I count at least ten floors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx