RECIPES

Sunday 29 March 2020

What If You Die?


Nobody likes to think about their own mortality, yet at some stage every single one of us will die.  This may sound morbid, so think of it instead as Positive Preparation.  It will give you peace of mind when you are organised, and your family will thank you later on.


Do you have an up-to-date will?  Have you recorded what your wishes are after you die (e.g., cremation, burial, organ donation)?  Do you have a preference for a certain style of funeral or a particular cemetery?  What type of end-of-life care would you prefer?  Do you want to be resuscitated?  Or kept alive on life support?  Where would you rather die?  Is the information readily available that will be needed to complete a death registration?


Each person will have different preferences, and each country will have different legal requirements.  For instance, in New Zealand if a person dies without a will (“intestate”) then it can take at least six months before their estate can be finalized.  If you die owning substantial assets then the process becomes even more complicated.

Thinking about all of this, I dragged my will out of the drawer and considered it.  It is over ten years since it was created and both of my named executors have since died.  I now have grandchildren as well.  I have written out on a page, and signed it, what my new preferences are until I can get the opportunity to have a new will legally drawn up for me.

When my husband was told that medical help could not save him, we were urged to consider creating an end-of-life document that set out what care he preferred to have in his last days.  We did this, in conjunction with our doctor, and it became an important document as he did not wish to be resuscitated and the hospital was then able to follow his instructions.  This allowed him to die with the dignity he desired, rather than undergo a futile attempt to keep him alive for a little while longer.


When it comes to registering a death a bereaved family member is usually requested to answer questions they may not know the answers to.  Having studied my family’s genealogy over the years I know that there are many death certificates with incorrect information recorded on them.

Each country will have different requirements, but usually they need to know things like when and where you were born, who your parents were, when you married, who your spouse was, what military service you participated in.  Ask around to see what information you need to have (search online or try places like a funeral home, library, Citizens Advice Bureau etc.) and then write it out and place it with your will.


Of course, apart from keeping all your documents together, your family needs to know what you have done and where it can all be found.  Tell more than one person if possible.  I have seen a family member belatedly inform his siblings of a parent’s last wishes when it was almost too late to enact them. 

None of us wish to die of Covid-19 – or anything else! – but thousands are dying every week and we should all be prepared, and I do not mean just the elderly.

Face it – death is an immutable fact of life.
Prepare for it – get your papers in order
Forget about it – go and enjoy every day of your life


Life is wonderful.  Enjoy every day, every precious moment, as much as you can.
Margaret xx


15 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Margaret and something we all should think about, as you said. Both my husband and I have done our wills and everything is in order with that. It's just the extras you mention that I will have to think about. We have plenty of time for some deep thought at the moment don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly, I have both a Scottish (Scots law is different to English and Welsh Law) will and end of life document as well as a New Zealand will and end of life document. When I was living for 6 months in each country alternately it was a 50:50 chance that if I died it would be in one country or the other (for end of life care) and as I had possessions in both countries the wills only referred to the possessions in the country of the will. Having all the necessary information readily available can take so much strain off those left to pick up the pieces after one's death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, none of us will get out of this world alive. I have a current will and all the required documents but all done 10 years ago, so perhaps it's time to have another look. But I haven't actually booked and paid for my funeral yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret this is a great post. After the death of my husband I did much of what you suggest, and all my records are with a lawyer in addition to my having a copy. Things change so like you say, it is good to update things legally. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this realistic post. Lots to consider and take care of on this end, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice, yes most of our papers are in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise advice, Margaret. It amazes me that some people don't have a will let alone letting family know their end-of-life wishes. Thankfully we've done all that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have all our documents in order, but there are a few birds to see yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, ours are not in order, thought a lot of things have the kids name on them already. But I have done been thinking about a lot of this stuff. The bad thing is I have been thinking about some things and just simply cannot make up my mind about one or two items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ancient Egyptian's mourned the birth of a child and celebrated the death of those who left this world to return home.
    I do not understand the fear of death, each of us will die, that is guaranteed from the moment we take our first breath and our days on this earth are clicking down to the day we leave from that very first moment.
    Some leave quickly, others lead a very long life story, whatever our destiny, life is a gift meant to be lived as fully and as present as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think ours are pretty good. We both had to go through all this when our respective spouses died (and before that when my late husband got dementia) so have wills and Enduring Powers of Attorney but it doesn't mean we should not review the wills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an eye opener Margaret for me but I have to be honest, with my anxiety these days, I tend to think of it more often. I'm just turning 30 this June and it will be very sad if I will in the near times. But if I do (oh it hurts) I'll still be thankful though afraid, but grateful for the small dreams and big dreams that I have been blessed to lived like graduating and seeing my students graduate and seeing most of Asia and visiting Europe which was a big dream for me. I don't have a lot of possessions except some collection and a piece of land in the province which I don't know who I shall leave to at the moment. But you are right no matter what age we are in , especially during these times, we have to prepare and be ready so that we can also have the power to not be afraid (or at least less afraid) of our ends and at the same time to appreciate more, the coming and remaining days or years or hopefully decades to live meaningful rest of our lives.

    Please accept my hugs Margaret and greeting you all the way there in New Zealand from the Philippines (It's super hot here now! 32-34 during daytime)

    Stevenson
    Cavite Daily Photo
    Stevenson Que Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stevenson. You know, all we can do is to live each day as it comes - to enjoy the little things and appreciate and be thankful for all that happens in our lives. Today lived well makes for happy yesterdays and promising tomorrows. I hope you have many more happy decades ahead of you :)

      Delete
  13. Yes, we made our wills years ago. We want to burn (not in hell, I hope) and each one is allowed to take the ashes to Switzerland and let them make a diamond of it.
    I´m also registered at DIPAT where I stated what to do with my body if I cannot decide - it´s coordinated by doctors, eg I don´t want too be kept alife when my brain is gone.
    My organs, if useful, can be used.
    The info is in a place my Hubby and Brother know and on my ID.

    I asked my Brother - who has two kids!! - oh so often to do that, too. He refuses.

    My parents are buried the "classical" way. My Brother lives there and has to take care of the grave, the flowers, it costs time and money, I do not want that.

    Oh, what?! No one could help your husband? That is my nightmare, too (chronically sick, he is).

    You are right! Thank you, I need to add the birth-certification and all to the documents, too (how silly. When I´m dead I certainly was born!)

    :-) Forget about it :-)
    No. You just make people not sad but also cause trouble then and add to the pain.
    Yes. Let us enjoy every day - great post, thank you! Ixx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Hubby and I have our will ready, we both are registered to be organ donors too. I am not afraid to die, when it happens I know I had a good life. This is a good reminder to all, you never know when it will be your time to leave this earth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.