RECIPES

Friday 13 March 2020

Black Friday Shopping


It may be Friday the thirteenth today but I gave up being superstitious about it many years ago, partly because I had no idea what you were meant to do or not do on this day anyway.  It always seemed to pass like every other normal day, and so far today has been just the same.

I visited Hamilton Lake for a short time and that is where I took this photo.  I was going to go for a short walk, but the sun was too hot and there were far too many people around.  I’m afraid I like my walks to be in relative solitude so that I can be refreshed by nature.  If I want to be in among crowds, I visit shopping centres (which I had already done earlier).


Hamilton Lake


I dropped grand-daughter off at school this morning before heading to the library for a book I had been reading about – Real Modern: Everyday New Zealand in the 1950s and 1960s.  It sets out to show how common items in daily use can show anthropologists what kind of normal everyday life people lived.  There is a lot of romantic hype about this period of time, and this writer endeavours to show whether that is really how the majority of people actually lived.




The shops were my next stop.  I am attending a celebration lunch tomorrow for the Diamond Wedding Anniversary (60 years) of my husband’s oldest sister and husband, and decided to go searching for a new top.  I found one as well, and the bonus was that it was on sale for $25 (I found another one that I liked, and it was $60!).

The top is black and white with sparkly silver bits (the dots in the photo) and has three-quarter sleeves.  It will go well with my black trousers and black sandals, and I have a black handbag to match.

My wardrobe is a little mixed up.  I am wearing black to tomorrow's celebration but I wore blue to yesterday's funeral.  I suppose it doesn't really make much difference these days what colour you wear.  Some would say it doesn't even matter what you wear, and we saw some very casual outfits yesterday.




Our area must be coming out of its drought situation as our water restriction levels have dropped from 3 to 2, which means we can now operate the sprinkler again between 6-8am and 6-8pm.

Water is so precious but we seldom notice it unless we have restrictions on its use.

Margaret.



LINKED TO Skywatch Friday

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful sky photo. That sounds like a really interesting book. It does seem like there was a large amount of romantic hype around these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty lake! I try not to wear black in the summer it is too hot! However your new top looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking in the mirror when shaving this morning made me realise that I could do with a new top too. If only.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, haha, you are right, Friday 13th!!!!
    My Mum always said its her lucky day! A post to this is up. Thank you. I miss her so much.
    That book sounds very interesting, too!
    60years, wow! Beautiful!

    Hm. Water restrictions in Perth and people washing their cars or women turning on the shower on and only then start to undress (we live when visiting, in a caravan park).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friday the thirteenth has been a good day for Miriam and me. We met on such a day, got married and signed the purchase agreement on our house on Friday the thirteenth too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great - good things can and do happen on a Black Friday :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, Pretty view of the lake and sky. Your new top is lovely. Have fun at the party. Happy Skywatching, enjoy your day! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book sounds interesting. I'm going to look it up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was published in 2015 in relation with Te Papa, our national museum at Wellington. I've read the first couple of chapters and am enjoying it. I lived through that time!

      Delete
  8. We had a trip booked with our daughter and the kids which was supposed to start today. It was cancelled hours before departure. Maybe that was good luck on this not so auspicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it cancelled because of the pandemic? I know people around here who have had their travel plans disrupted with flights being cancelled and borders getting closed.

      Delete
  9. Your new top is so pretty, and you got it on sale! Have fun at the 60th wedding anniversary celebration.
    We went to do our usual Friday morning grocery shopping but my goodness! Our first clue was that the parking lot was much fuller than on a normal Friday. Then we went in and almost turned around and left. At 8:30 there were people lined up to pay. Their carts were heaped high with enough canned food and toilet paper to last months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That top is pretty...I have such a hard time finding tops I wear. Especially summer tops. I am with you on liking to walk alone or where there is few people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lake and the sky look very nice in the picture.
    I like the look of your top too, enjoy the wedding anniversary celebration.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx