RECIPES

Wednesday 25 March 2020

Virtual Walking


There is an eerie calm over our neighbourhood today.  It is obvious that there are people staying at home, but everything is so quiet.  No road traffic noise.  No vehicles coming and going.  No machinery working.  No planes flying overhead.  Not even any over-loud radios playing.  All I have heard is an occasional dog barking and a tui (or it may be a bellbird) chortling in the nearby reserve.

Full lock-down comes into place at 11.59pm tonight (Wednesday).  We are allowed to leave our homes for walks as long as we remain local and maintain distance from anyone we may meet.  I don’t find walking around streets particularly inspiring, so usually drive to wherever I wish to walk.  I think for this period of isolation I will simply remain at home.

I can walk around the house, inside and out, and potter about the garden.  There is space in the living room for dancing and jumping up and down, so plenty of opportunities to get some exercise.  I am truly thankful that I have this space surrounding our home that we can move around in.  Son will be our designated shopper, going to the supermarket for fresh supplies as needed (probably weekly). 

There are many beautiful walks around New Zealand, some short and easy and others long and difficult.  I thought maybe looking at some over the next few weeks could create a “virtual walking” experience.  It would certainly help me to remember that life will once again return to normal and I can once again get out and about and do more of these walks.

Today I thought we could climb Mt Maunganui, or The Mount as it is often referred to.  Known as Mauao in Maori, this extinct volcanic cone rises 232 metres high (761 feet) from the ocean at its base.  The ocean beach here is famous for surfing, and it is located close to the city of Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty.

This walk will be a composite of different ascensions taken over the last twenty years.  There are several paths on The Mount, but some no longer exist as there have been several landslides on the mountain in recent years.


Mt Maunganui viewed from Leisure Island

Start of the trek up, from the Ocean Beach side

This is one of the pathways that no longer exists

Steps on the Waikorire Track

Looking back down on the ocean side

Almost to the summit

Trig station at the summit of Mt Maunganui

The view back down over the town of Mt Maunganui

Heading back down on the other side

The path down this side is very steep in places

Sheep graze on this side of the mountain

Almost back to sea level - this time on the side of Pilot Harbour

I hope you enjoyed the walk J
Stay safe and well,

Margaret.


LINKED TO My Corner of the World

32 comments:

  1. That is quite the walk!! I doubt that I have the stamina for this one. How long is the walk start to finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are meant to be able to do it within an hour. It usually takes me at least double that, but then I also like to sit and look at things, and photograph bits, and have to catch my breath sometimes as well!

      Delete
  2. It is a wonderful place for a walk. Thanks for taking us along. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margaret, I followed you here from Graham's at Eagleton Notes. So glad I did. That was a splendid virtual walk. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Pauline, and I am glad you enjoyed the "walk" :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the lovely scenery on our 'walk'! I, too, have lots of room to walk around, so I consider myself blessed. Stay safe, my friend. It will be over soon.

    I'm so happy you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm happy that you run this link, Betty. Stay safe and enjoy your space, Mxx

      Delete
  5. That was a nice walk indeed! Sorry you have a lock down - I hope we can avoid that.
    I stay inside, though, too and stay away from people. Plus.... it´s cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is meant to be warming up now, on your side of the world :))
      We are heading into winter and our traditional flu season, and I think that is partly why they are coming down so hard trying to head off this virus. It could literally be catastrophic for our little country if it got out of hand.

      Delete
  6. I have been to Mount Maunganui many times but never walked up The Mount. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a hike. Last time I made it up there I almost cheered when I reached the top!!

      Delete
  7. Thank you what amazing views and wonderful photo's, a perfect start to our morning here, blogging whilst on lockdown is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Blogging is one way we can all stay in touch and encourage each other. We are all going through the same sort of stuff, and it helps to know one is not alone in the battle.
      Glad these photos started your morning off so well :) xx

      Delete
  8. My, that was exhausting, but the views were worth it! We must do this again.

    Have fun, but stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you get 360 degree views across from the top. It really is beautiful. We will have to go virtual-walking again :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful sceneries,indeed.Thanks for sharing.Good that you read the message first then publish it. I love New Zealand, i follow blogs and vlogs too, sometimes on YouTube.Keep it up and stay safe and enjoy all the green around you.It soothes the mind and make you feel healthier.
    Regards


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to breath fresh air and get outside into sunshine certainly makes a person feel healthier and more positive about things, especially during these strange times.

      Delete
  10. WOW! Such spectacular views! I hope to visit New Zealand someday.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would love it, and I hope you make it here one day. Have a happy day :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, you have some gorgeous places to walk. The views are fabulous! These virtual walk are so easy, they just do not burn any calories. Take care, stay well. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I forgot about the calories. Burning virtual calories on a virtual walk just doesn't do it, does it? Have a great day :)

      Delete
  12. Oh Margaret! Every few flights you walk out there at Mt. Maunganui gives you different worlds of views and scapes! Oh that view from the top that shows the isthmus is just a big reward when you get to the summit. These landscapes and views reminds me of Hawaii, I guess because of the Polynesian brotherhood between Hawaii and New Zealand but it's just absolutely breath-taking! I feel grateful to you for taking us on this trip!

    Stay Safe Margaret, I always look forward to my daily visits to NZ through your space here :)

    Stevenson
    Cavite Daily Photo
    Stevenson Que Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you are enjoying your virtual trips to New Zealand. Yes, the views from the top of the mountain really are fantastic and make the effort of climbing worth while.

      Delete
  13. I wish you well, Margaret. These beautiful walks will be waiting for you when this episode in our lives finally comes to an end. I suspect that may take longer than we all might wish. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear you may be right David, about how long this may take to pass. You guys stay safe as well xx

      Delete
  14. Oh my, that is a glorious walk! I love the green and the deep blue water. The sheep by the water are beautiful. It is an eerie calm here too. Our full lockdown starts tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sheep roaming the mountain are great (well, it is called a mountain but it is nothing at all like your Rockies!). They generally stay away from people (dogs are not allowed on the mountain) and keep the grass from growing too rank. I hope your lockdown goes well - it seems to be the only way to control things at the moment.

      Delete
  15. Wow, I would love to be able to go on that walk with you...this is when having a big screen TV might come in handy...find a youtube video and pretend to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Josephine from the Netherlands15 June 2020 at 00:53

    O How I love this walk! It is years ago that I made it myself. How lovely to read about it and be able to go back in memory to the wonderful times I have spent in New Zealand with my relatives in Tauranga. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.